Monday, July 8, 2013

A different night and hope for a brighter morning..


It is a different night in Pandey household.
Anand will be 13 next week and I don’t remember him sleeping away even for a night. Kids on spectrum don’t get to experience the usual fun stuff so sleep over is nor something they would do. Few months ago when I read about Camp Havago I wasn’t sure if I really wanted to do that. But mom in me wanted him to have the usual growing up experience. It has been my mission to help my son find his circle of friends. He is in such a place that finding a friend is very difficult.
So here comes the night he is off to Camp for 4 nights. I cannot believe it. It started with “I don’t want any camp” to “ I hate camps” to somehow “OK, but you will pick me up every night” to “ OK, I will try” It started with a little push - you have to do it, Doc and school want you to learn few things” to bribe ( I will buy to a 3 DS) to OK you should give it a try. I have to give credit to his behavior therapist Doc A too. He was instrumental in explaining Anand how important the camp life is. How much fun it could be.
So finally we went to the open house and it changed everything. My son has a way to steal the heart. Those counselors are well trained and Anand is a charming kid. We went with a grumpy kid who went there only so he could eat out. But I brought home back a happy kid who was looking forward to the camp.
I couldn’t believe my ears when he said he will go to the camp. But he was worried how would he sleep away from home and we talked about it in bits and pieces.
So finally he is going to camp tomorrow and here we were planning and packing.
It has been a great Monday for him after few days in Maine and a movie and ice cream Monday with dad he was a happy kids. I am sure it might have hit him hard. I was trying to pack and trying to engage him and all of sudden it was just an outburst. “I don’t want to go to camp” He threw away all those ironed clothes, fought with dad and screamed and shouted. Within minutes all those stacked clothes were on floor.
I now think Ashish was right when he commented that Anand is going to a summer camp, nobody cares if the shirts are ironed or not.
So after talking and pasta dinner and ice cream dessert my son is off to bed with a calm mind and here I am thinking and wondering what the hell happened. I know he is nervous and it was just his way of saying that he is worried and nervous. I am in the same boat. I cannot wait for him to enjoy those days and have a different experience. I am looking forward to have 4 days to my self when I will have different evenings.
So here we are doing what we can to ease ourselves. Ashish watching TV, I am typing my blog and hopefully boys are sleeping.
Wonder how Autism changes world and its meaning to families like us.
Hopefully it will be a different morning and when he comes back on Saturday he will be happier Anand.

No comments:

Post a Comment