Sunday, April 2, 2017

Wearing blue is the first step towards acceptance.



Please know that I am overwhelmed and thankful. I have been thinking over it whole day today, what Autism means for us, for you and for everyone else who is touched by it. Each day is a reminder how far we have come and how custom made this journey is for all of us.
The color blue specially in April represents Autism. Autism speaks not only brought this condition on world stage it gave Autism a color - color BLUE.
Personally I am not a fan of “Autism Speaks” they have done a lot, no doubt about that, but at the same time I don’t agree to everything they portray about Autism. But one thing I am thankful for is – Blue for Autism Awareness and acceptance. I very well know my colorful saree would have gone unnoticed but a blue Saree in April (now any time for that matter. Thank you #100SareePact) reminds everyone of Anand and his mom.
 There are millions of horrifying stories of ignorant and mean people being rude with Autistic people, hurting them, teasing and bullying them. Just recently a mother wrote about her Disney trip, how a dad watched and did not say anything when her son was being bullied and mimicked in the line. A son was hit by classroom aid, locked in the room, countless stories of abuse. But for me today is the day of gratitude.
Couple of days ago I wrote about Autism Awareness and Acceptance day and asked people to wear Blue on April 2nd. Today my inbox, text msgs, emails, Facebook and what’s app were filled with such pictures and comments. Many participated in Runs and walks. Today I received many hugs for Anand and many of my friend came to me showing their Blue for Anand and many like him. Blue in solidarity some one said.
I want to thank each one of you to share our journey, hope, aches and celebrate our victory with us.
My friends please know your wearing blue today is the first step in making the world a better place, not only for Anand but for every 
1 in 68 children and 1 in 42 boys. 
Today I request you to take care of your tribe, yourself and people around you. Be kind to people who need your empathy, teach your children to be gentle and above all lets celebrate the goodness around us.



1 comment: