Sunday, May 7, 2017

Mental Health is real .. May is Mental health awareness Month

You walk into a place not knowing anything and have no idea how will it change you. You meet people and sometimes their vibes can rub you in various directions. You could walk out feeling happy, sad, angry, emotional, drained, jealous and sometimes you just feel powerful, inspired and motivated.
Months ago, I applied for  MFOFC Mass family organizing for change. (My post on MFOFC) my area center was full, but another center had one opening and I was in. So to begin with THIS wasn’t even my place but I was welcomed with warmth and open heart.

It was a 3-weekend journey and over the first weekend we got to know each other but by the second weekend we became a family. That’s what the late night talking sessions do to you.
We all were in awe to each other’s strength, we inspired each other and we realized that we all have our fair share of things to deal with BUT we all have one things in common. We want this world to understand our children better and we all are working towards that in our own capacity.

Each and every participant was my hero, each of them had something to teach me, inspire me. I could write a post about everyone and not even scratch the surface.  They are my village and they made one for themselves during those 6 days.
Meri was a featured mother’s voice. She was one of the coordinator too and when I heard her story my jaw dropped. Physical disabilities are obvious, intellectual disabilities are not, it takes time to understand and figure out intellectual and learning disabilities BUT the mental health crisis can go undiagnosed and can create a major havoc in someone’s life. She is THAT mother who didn’t take NO for an answer and fought for mental health awareness. She is the mom who said that mental health crisis is real and we need a better system to address this. She sat in the hospital holding her son’s hand for 3 days and nights to get him proper help and later went all the way through the political process to change the process. She is a regular in State house so the policy makers know the real lives of real people. She not only works in mental health field she inspires and teaches us moms to get involved in the process. On top of that she went to school to study “Non Profit management to increase family voice in a grassroots organizations” this year. She was laughing while explaining her school assignments and projects finishing process. I was thinking where does she get this strength. But thats what Meri is - contagious, fearless and spreading the sparkle in our lives.
With her I learnt the various folds in Mental Health and its impact. Not only her children are very lucky but people around her too. Her struggles became the stepping stone for many, Meri has changed many lives with her work but she sure had colored mine with her dedication and awesomeness.
May is mental health awareness month and green is the color.
This morning Anand was there to cheer on his mom, who took part in her FIRST ever 5K,walked in Franklin in green saree to dedicate this walk to one supermom she came to love and admire. 
Meri Viano.. you are my hero!!

When I decided to walk in green saree a dear friend suggested it was one of the craziest idea one can think of. 5K in Saree but thats what #100SareePact did to us. So we both agreed to disagree respectfully.
Milind Soman, I want to thank you for inspiring women all over the world to take care of their health and walking/running with Saree clad women. Your mother is an inspiration. You are a brave man who walked with 100s of women in Saree and I cannot thank you enough for inspiring me.










No comments:

Post a Comment