Sunday, March 11, 2018

Vision of community 2018 - a day to remember - what matters most in life..

I stepped out of the car and asked my darling husband to take a picture before I took the 6.40 train to Boston. On that cold March morning, I thought I was crazy for wearing a saree – and yes, for that picture I had to take out my coat. But as soon as I walked in the train, two ladies complimented me, and I knew I didn’t look crazy. I was wearing a blue saree and going to the Vision of Community Conference, hosted in Boston by the Federation of Children’s with Special Needs.
That is always an empowering experience, and being there makes you feel that you are not alone. So many parents, professionals, teachers, and volunteers from many walks of life come together to educate, teach, learn, contribute, and share with only one goal: to have a better life for our children. There is always someone whose story breaks your heart, and then you will always meet people who make you feel accepted, welcomed and loved.
I was there by 8 in the morning, and I left by 4.45 to catch my train. It was a long day, but I didn’t feel overwhelmed or sad. I felt stronger, empowered, and more energized. I learned so much and met many more. Those small conversations, pictures, and email exchanges are the highlight for me. I didn’t see many Indians, and for sure I was the only one in saree, so those many compliments on my royal blue saree really made me feel royal.
As I observed the crowd I felt everyone was so different with their own unique stories. They all had something different to share, we all spoke on the same theme: how can we do better as a parent, a professional, a teacher, or even a human being.
Federation does a great job bringing the best of the speakers. Some of them have been doing it for ages, and some of them have been living it for that long. There was a mix of fresh perspectives and tried-and-true insight – something for everyone. I hosted a workshop and was amazed to listen to the people who attended: A dad and son talking about their experience, an activist mom talking about the power of telling your story, a supporter of inclusion, a teacher explaining the role of the family. Seeing a doctor, two moms, teachers and community outreach supporter being recognized was heartwarming. The keynote speaker Tom Sannicandro - I am so grateful to have that take away.. you are NEVER asking enough for your child. Never ever feel is it too much..Thank you.
Thank you, Federation, for another meaningful day in our life.
Please reach out to them to support them and congratulate them, and spread the word about the work they do for the community.
the morning in seaport.


 The Overhead room.. the main Auditorium was already full. 
 Tom Sannicandro, Director of Institute for community inclusion and Russell Johnston, Senior Associate commissioner - special education services.
 What an empowering presence. a Sister first .. Jane Ryder, Commissioner - DDS

 The amazing team .. of Federations .. Leslie Leslie, Oanh But, Jaya and Elizabeth Topaz
Meet some old friends and make some new..
team - 2 of Federations  Ingrid, Jaya Liz, a friend and Ruth


 The wonderful Joe Petner..anything and everything about Inclusion..
 The workshop I hosted..Finding and establishing an independent living facility for your Child.
Thank you Ned and Peter - you are my hero.. Mike and John were just telling your stories..
 The Director -  Richard Robinson
Wonderful  Melaine McLaughlin who talks about power of a story .. a real one.. your life

the morning.. #100SareePact changed my life in many way.. The Blue Saree means Autism Awareness now.. 



No comments:

Post a Comment