Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Life is good.. beacuse I have you in it..A trip to California.


Planning a trip is the most exciting part of trip. The conversation is all about fun and excitement. And then the trip happens and you come back home mentally charged and physically exhausted. My California trip is no exception but one. If I say its the people, nothing new, right. Its cliché. But this time it was the next generation who blew my mind. I have always been blessed, I am loved and appreciated so it wasnt a surprise when friends stopped everything to spend time with me. It was the next generation who amazed me with their clarity of mind, dedication, passion, creativity and understanding. They were kids and young adults and little older but each one of them showed me what growing up is all about.
Passion for sports, science, art and giving back to community we all can teach our kids but what they take in its about them not parents. A girl going to school for neuro science where parents have no connection to that what so ever. While talking she said she wants to help people, its the best way to serve humanity she said. I really wondered did I really know what it means when I was 18? Their house is a comfort place for friends and she wrote her essay aboutchai”. Another dear daughter was about a perfect balance of science and art. I was in California for her stage debut and she credited her teacher for not letting her give up on dance. How difficult it is to admit that there was a time when she didnt want to do that but she didnt shy away in front of audience who were still mesmerized with her amazing performance. The cute girl who insisted I should stay another day without even knowing me longer, gave me the cutest nicknamekaju Katli”, a young boy who inherited his dads passion for sports, in another home thousands of Lego pieces in various structures reminded me again and again what focus is. A cute little kid who walked in the door and put away the shoe in place and even my shoes found a place in the basket neatly. A teen boy who gave up his bedroom for me without any hesitation. A friend who was visiting California from Delhi and gave up his lunch break to meet with me.
I stayed with many friends and every night I witnessed a new way of parenting and every morning I woke up in awe how wonderful parenthood could be, how it changes you in way you cannot see and imagine. I missed my boys and wondered if I did enough for them. Did I create a good human being. Did I do enough ??? 

The friendships and people we have in our life, they make us what we are as a person. The long crazy drives, the wind and conversation and walk at Golden gate bridge, endless conversations which took place beyond midnight every night, topics from our childhood to places we grew up and visited, lived and people who were common factor to new introduction. Their curiosity to my work in special need from Ajeys world to Anands strength and passion and limitation. I am so proud of each of them how they asked questions about Anand and his journey and then shared some from their friends and their kids life. These are the people who have been in my life for ages, some of them for decades. They walked into my life in various stages. They are part of my memories from middle school, high school, newly married Jaya and Ashish and then as new parents. Each one of them have stories about me to tell. I come back leaving my heart with Californian friends, their generosity and kindness. As I unpack those gifts form sarees, to bags and stuff and snacks to home grown lemons I am grateful with what I have in life. Thankful is the only word which can describe me today.
The Golden Gate Bridge.. We were on the road for lot longer than we were here. But I realized one thing.. having a friend drive you and listening to Jagjit Singh can make you forget that crazy traffic. 
 The beautiful Country Club area in San Jose. My best friend's brother lives here and his rose garden reminded me of his home and my dad's passion for roses.
A dear friend who works here, a visit to Facebook HQ.. another story.. I saw a different kind of work place.. the youth, the energy and the creativity..
 These young showed what opening a new door really means. She amazed me with her understanding of human nature and willingness to do something for human kind. an 18 yrs old who talks to you in hindi, makes coffee for you in the middle of the night and sits with you for long and listen to 100 of stories about your life.. #impressed
 The discipline to pull a performance like this.. It is one of those rare occasion I sat through the whole show.. My best friend is my friend from high school and I thought she knew me better but it was her daughter who stole my heart..#Backtomemorylane
My love for Saree is no secret.. I couldn't wear anything else but this Orissa Bomkai for Odissi performance.. A gift from dear friend who didn't buy one for herself but for me during her trip to Bhuvneshwar..#Friendship



No comments:

Post a Comment