Sunday, August 2, 2020

The photoshoot saga - different families same smiles.

These family photoshoots have been rewarding in many ways. Different experiences with each family but bring the same outcome. I see them up-close and personal. I have known struggles and difficulties, heard of them and have seen but its not what makes me write today. It’s the whole what makes them a “family”. The love and support they have. More than anything it’s the siblings who warm my heart. They have kind of life unlike any of their friends. Is compassion something they are may be born with? or can it be an acquired virtue. I have seen younger sibling wiping the face of their older sibling or older sibling taking care of their younger sibling like parents. Or a twin watching over other twin with watchful eyes.

I have seen anxious parents keeping an eye on their kid and try to smile for me. They are in so many places at that one point. How they forget that I am a mom and I DO understand what they are going through. They keep reminding their kids to look at the camera and how I keep saying not to worry about it. I know I am good at getting what I want and finally we do get achieve what we set out for.

some beautiful family pictures But each and every picture has a story. A story of love, triumph and smile.

so far I have done 9 families. Most of the mothers I have met before but first time the kids and fathers. Yesterday I went to shoot two families. totally different age group so I received two different welcomes. The younger family, the kids were all about trains and car and simple coins and berries and a hot wheel car made that connection between the kids and me.  A beautifully dressed mother kept reminding her son to look at the camera and smile. I kept reminding her that its not the smile we are after. finally on a hot and humid day we ended up with some beautiful shots.


Couple of miles down the road in other household the kids were all teens. A 13 yrs old, with EarPods and basketball.. that would always remain my memory. A 19 yrs old  girl, who was just amazing with her 18 yrs old brother. I didn’t know how will I connect to this difficult age group. But within minutes I realized they were so ready to make some memories with me. the sun was setting soon so without making small talks we got into work. I wish I had more time in the beginning. But soon they got my style and rhythm and we had some amazing shots. more than anything it was very reassuring to see family smiling and taking my clue without bothering the kid. Having a stranger is always difficult for our kids so we cannot expect what we want. Thats the whole idea behind this idea of photoshoot. to get whatever we can and make the best out of it.


I came back home with amazing memories of nicknaming two kids Mr Car and Mr Subway, how a mom kept a nice scarf and saree pin in my car before I even walked in. How a dad who never met me before took care of cold water for me. A daughter who picked the dress and make up for her mom, how the two siblings carry the chairs for me, took my clue and made their brother comfortable having me around, and the mom kept running into kitchen between picture to check the samosas, how she remembered my taste and the dad served me wine with the samosa. How they open their backyard to other family to come and how all of us spent our time enjoying each others company. One photoshoot connected those two families in a way nothing could before. 


I drove back home with Jagjit Singh in background, with a promise to listen Ghazals with one of the dad, come for Marathi food and have another scotch and wine evening for Ashish and me. These connection and friendship enrich my soul. Stay tuned for more stories. 

Edit - a mom sent me this note - 

Thank you Jaya for the lovely captures of memories. Great Idea. I hope you are able to touch many more families like ours."


Read about this initiative -Click on "Family Photoshoot"

 One of the dad caught Jaya in action. 

the work after the photoshoot :)

I call it " the beatles" pose, It wasn't intentional but now I love it. 
A blue Orissa saree, one kind of Ikat. Just perfect blue saree to support Autism Awareness and Acceptence


5 comments: