Friday, January 1, 2021

The last day of 2020 - What will you remember?

Somehow Dec 31st becomes the most important day for everyone. Every year it’s the same regrets from the past year and promises and hopes for the coming year. Reflections and what worked and what didn’t take over. This year it wasn’t the same, everyone just couldn’t wait to get rid of 2020. The year did some pretty good things to many people. I am not denying it’s horror but 2020 showed us a part of living we were ignoring all along. It made us realize how important it is to slow down.  


With all that buzz going on in the whole world about the celebration, my household was taking it easy. Pandey men take one day at a time and follow the rule of “Sab din ek saman” (all the days are the same) so it was a normal Thursday here. A slow work day for Ajey and Mom, the other two had the day off. Anand for sure was excited about the year 2020’s last day. He had planned a dinner menu. I have written about the difficult days in our household and the calm that came out of the storm. Him participating in the meals planning and preparation more is one of the promises from that storm. My son decided he wanted to bake Pasta with meatballs for dinner. I on the other had decided to stay out of the kitchen . The day started as usual and I was done with work by mid afternoon. Decided to take a nap after lunch, made by the master chef of the house these days. When I woke up the house was warm and smelled of cheese . I decided to join the group call with dear friends instead of getting ready and before I knew it the table was set and everyone was waiting for me to get off the call. For once instead of dressing up I decided to join the eager men for dinner. So the last day of 2020 was spent in my Pj’s.

But it didn’t matter, we don’t have a single family picture of “unkempt” Pandey’s around the dining table but we have memories of fun, laughter, jokes and food. We will remember 2020 for various reasons, personal losses and victories and lessons learnt . With everything else I will remember that the year ended with something good and a first for the whole family, a meal cooked by the youngest and tallest man of the household. That itself gives us hope and promises of better days my friends and Yes I wish you the same.


 A table set for dinner while I was busy chatting with Divya, Farida and Viba. Anand set the table, Ajey poured the drink. I am perfectly okay even if it doesnt look like the “celebration” table. But his face sure was celebratory, he was chatty, goofy and happy. 2020 I want to remember this as your departing face.




I was part of a podcast, The team and other participant got together on Wednesday to bring in the new year. It was fun and uplifting. An Irkal (or Ilkal)Saree from Karnataka.
The link to podcast -some amazing stories from women who made United States their home
https://anchor.fm/chaiandchat








No comments:

Post a Comment