Saturday, September 24, 2022

A step forward - Someone is ready to listen - Lets speak now

Over and over again Indian are called model minority and always associated with IT and academics. Usually we don’t talk about our personal issues and always hush if things are not going right, What will everyone say is the first thing comes to our mind.

We all have lived through that in our life. 

Learning disability or mental health or any kind of disability is absolutely a taboo.

I have come across so many moms who haven’t told their immediate family in India about their child. 

Its been almost 6 years I have been working with indian moms to build a community and finally I see them coming out of their shell and thinking about their child not the society. We are still not there but moving forward with small steps which is big enough for now.

MA is one of the most prominent state in USA when it comes to Special Education. But a good system is not enough unless we participate in it, make use of it for our children.

 I am asked to participate at the a Family Support Conference  - as a panelist to talk about “Fostering Cross-Cultural Understanding”.

5 of us from different culture are going to speak about our cultural and disability awareness. How religion and culture shape our views, willingness to find resources and how can we get help from family support professionals and how to build the bridge between families, culture and rest of the world. I want to touch upon all these when sharing my and your story.


My journey as mom is mine, but that is not enough, I don’t represent the community. There are so many stories to be heard, please help me make it all about you, give me words and I can be your voice. 


A saree for a celebration dinner with some of the amazing moms I met in my journey.

Anand on his morning walk. 

This is one of my fav pic from a family picnic

These two girls never would have met if not for their brothers. The moms are part of "Desi Moms Network" and we are building the sibling network too . I am sure these girls will grow into wonderful and compassionate women



No comments:

Post a Comment