Thursday, May 25, 2023

Loss, Grief and the responsibilities it comes with

My sister in law lost her mother in law a few months ago and while I was listening to her ordeal of getting things done during those 13 days of grief I wondered how it is different for everyone.


After they were done with the rituals, the process of cleaning the room and letting go off the stuff was daunting she said. Listening to her stories reminded me our life over the years . This time I helped her clean one closet and got rid of a lot of stuff. 

I have been living in the same home for over 20 years and stuff has accumulated without even noticing. COVID changed the way we look at things, more people at home and less space. What is enough and how much is needed.


Our parents lived a simple life, we had just enough space and means and over the years they let go of many unnecessary things. 

But my life has been different than theirs. After 20 years our household has way too much of everything.

Sometimes it’s greed, sometime it is necessity, sometimes  it is emotional attachment and some time it’s just simple laziness or “we will see when we get there” attitude.


I was wondering what happens in most households , how do you get the courage to clean up in general, specially parents belongings after they are gone, what to let go, whom to give to and do you feel the emotional setback? How do you deal with it?

A linen from my sister in law's closet. I did get one saree from her MIL's treasure. 

Pandey women - Mr. Husband's mom and sister





No comments:

Post a Comment