Sunday, May 5, 2024

Loss - the journey of grief and void.

 When I found out that a friend had lost his wife of 48 years, I knew I had to be there, but at the same time, I knew it would be hard. In that memorial service, a daughter stood in front of the crowd and spoke about her mother. I was in the audience, thinking about how brave she was. There was a time when I was totally lost, but fortunately, I was with a few friends who kept me in check.

It was difficult, but listening to their daughter was even more challenging. She spoke so highly of her mother, and I couldn't help but think of my own mother. If given a chance, what would I have said about my mom?


The rituals and prayers serve the same purpose in every religion. In that mosque that day, everyone prayed for the departed soul, offered their support to the family and loved ones, and shared a meal with family and friends.


I remember how difficult that first night was. After saying goodbye to Amma, we came back home. My cousins, aunts, and uncles had stories about Amma. That night, we shared our grief over a meal. But when everyone else went back to their homes, every day was tough. The void in our life is just ours to understand. I am fortunate to have sisters to share the grief. I feel for those who are all alone in this world. 

A cotton chanderi for the memorial service. 

I was out for a walk and seeing all these flowers made me realized how much I miss Amma, she was a perfect company for the walk. Papa is becoming for my togo person for many things now. 




No comments:

Post a Comment