Monday, July 16, 2018

A celebration in style..A different one.. A "Village" style


I am known to be a drama queen. I live life king size in many ways and celebrate joys, enjoy friendship and value relationship. I love any chance to eat and make noise and have fun.

So when my son makes it very clear that for him it’s a regular day, “don’t make a big deal” he said. I had no choice but to follow his instructions. When asked if he would like a cake he absolutely disagreed. 

This morning I did wish him and I got a thank you which was a good sign, I didn’t give up and asked if I could do something at his summer program and he flatly refused. “Don’t push it mom”. This morning all of us were going in four different direction so I didn’t have energy to drag it any further. But it was a very heavy hearted drive to work. My parents and sisters in India were trying to call and he could care less. Many whats app msgs and Facebook wishes went unnoticed. I couldn’t stop thinking about how to make it a special day and not make him angry. Then I did what I am best at.. asking for help. I know where to go..there are few people around me who have been with Anand even before he was born. A friend who hosted my surprised baby shower texted that she owes him a  chhole dinner and an ice cream cake, others wished him and that gave me an idea. My son doesn’t want his mom to make a big deal but he cannot say anything to her friends.. and that’s what I did.. my dear friends who are my support and love Anand, showed up with a cake and his favorite berries. They were OK if he said he didn’t want to ‘cut’ the cake, they didn’t mind going to his room and wishing him, they didn’t care that he didn’t come out right away to thank them. They were OK that he came to dining table to get a serving of cake. They were OK watching a you tube video with him and laughing with him. They were OK if he didn’t sit with them on the dining table and have a conversation like his big brother does. They love him the way he is..but his mother was more than OK to be able to celebrate his big day in style. The dinner outing was a no no but take out Pizza was acceptable. So finally we had Pizza, cake, fried fish made by mom, meatballs made by dad and berries for dessert.. for his teary eyed mom, this was a feast.

Now I know I have a village not just to raise my son but to celebrate his big day..


None can say "no" to chocolate cake and on top of that Farida Auntie and Viba auntie are not the one who will listen.


No candles or fancy plates or lot of stuff but it was a wonderful dinner.


 A happy dinner looks like this, Pizza and fish and some onion, then dad took out the meatballs. 

 The strawberries for dessert  ( Thank you Deepa Auntie)with serving of  book "wonder" he must be reading 50th times? 


and I got so lucky someone smiled and my phone was just ready. I had to post this before he deletes this beautiful picture.. when everything goes wrong I should hold on to this beautiful smile.









2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These little things make life beautiful. Love for Andy, all of you and your friends.

    ReplyDelete