Saturday, June 29, 2019

Another milestone - a Joy Ride .. not only for Ajey but for all of us.

As a toddler, Ajey was so fascinated by cars, real cars. His love for toy cars started when he was a baby. Our home was a museum of hot wheels cars. He would know those cars by touch even when he was asleep. When we moved to an apartment in Windsor Gardens, Norwood in 1999, our bedroom window had a view of the parking lot. Ajey would sit there and watch the cars, his favorite activity. We owned a Toyota Camry ( couldn’t get any more desi, isn’t it?) and that was his favorite thing on earth, he never troubled us for carseats or setbelts.
He learnt his alphabets with car brand names , Acura, BMW, Chevy, Dodge and so forth. He used to recognize and address my friends by their cars. Soon he started reading about cars more than storybooks and soon enough Anand developed his interest in cars too. Both brothers loved the parking lot more than any playground. They watched car shows more than Disney movies. While on the road recognizing cars became their favorites at to pass the time. 
 Ajey started reading more and more about cars. I remember him asking for Motor Trend magazine for his 11th Birthday and it continued for a few years. During this time, his dad discovered how thrilling driving is and he started changing cars every 3 years. Between the two of them cars were always a fun topic. 
Before I knew it he became the car advisor for his dad. Ashish would get a new car and after a year and a half they would start talking about the next car. 
Soon Ajey developed his interest in power engineering, clean energy, environment sustainability and new technology. His passion was a big influence in Ashish getting a Tesla last year. Though he has not been successful in changing his mom’s mind about not driving a SUV yet. The last few years I have witnessed tremendous growth in his thought process and UMass has played an important role in making my kid a social activist.
He graduated this summer and every plan was based on his future job. Finally, the time came and he started looking for his “joy ride.”
I cannot believe I am saying this but I did behave like a typical Desi mom and suggested he should just get a Toyota or Honda and get it over with. His argument for not having a gas car did make sense to me, but we both knew two electric cars would not make sense for our house hold either. I just wanted him to have a nice new car, but my son was very adamant about getting his OWN ride. He wanted a fun ride, a Hybrid and with his OWN money. Two days we spent going back and forth about this and  finally I realized his pride is more important than my wish to give him everything. I was so proud to see my child doing the research, reaching out to dealerships and mechanics. One preowned Honda CRZ matched his desires and needs. We all went to see the car and I couldn’t be any prouder. The way he talked to the car salesman , then the mechanic and at the Honda dealership I knew how smart he was being about this purchase. Last two days I witnessed my son talking, asking questions, bargaining, researching and finally paying for his car, going to RMV and then picking up his car today. I couldn’t believe that car crazy baby is a grownup man today, a good one. Ashish and I couldn’t be any prouder. We thank our village, everyone around us who cheered for him, helped him grow, and encouraged him to be the best version of himself.


Ajey showing off his hard-earned asset. I am glad I let go of “let me pay for it”. seeing him so happy and proud was the biggest joy yesterday. Even if he gambled with the money.


When we got back home Dad was up for a ride. As a passenger 

 Then he wanted to try himself. Do I see Ajey giving instructions to dad?


Getting out of the parking lot at the dealership. Mom got the first ride.


Anand went out with his brother but again he didn’t want to be part of any picture. But mom just had to do it. 


And then Pandeys partied. 4 of us had our outdoor celebration. Someone is this household still young enough to drink coke J


Salmom with Jaya’s signature green chutney. I love my farmshare.. the fresh coriander, I can still smell it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment