Monday, June 24, 2019

Families who "picnic" together stay together..


Sunday June 23rd 2019

When I organized the first moms dinner I had a pretty solid RSVP list but I was still worried. A friend made me feel better saying if no one shows up she and I will have dinner and drinks and enjoy. It turned out to be a very well attended dinner and everyone was happy.
The same thing happened today when I reached Nara Park in Acton. It was the first ever family picnic for our group. We have been talking about it for quite some time . I think I wasn’t ready to plan a family get together. It’s always tricky to manage things when husbands and kids come in the picture.
We had been discussing it for a while and with the beautiful weather it felt like the right thing to do. So decided to take the plunge.
Today was such a prefect day. I knew it would be great the moment Anand agreed to go with us. We left home not knowing how the day would unfold. Anand remained quiet so I didn’t know what was going on in his head. I really wanted to be prepared but had no idea what he was feeling so didn’t push him much to talk in the car. Ajey and I talked about his work and we were there at the park a little before 3 pm. 

We parked and waited for other families to arrive. I met one of the Non Indian moms from a facebook  group. She read my post and decided to come and see us for a short time. Anand loved meeting their dog. Another mom came by and I could say hi. Before we could continue our conversation my phone started buzzing. Many wanted to know the location and parking and some were trying to figure out who Jaya was. Soon we all gathered in the kids play ground. It was heartwarming to see so many dads walking in.
Before I realized everyone was just introducing each other on their own, kids were walking , running, dads chatting and moms getting to know each other. So many new faces and new stories. I just felt such an energy rush knowing my vision was taking shape. I could hear dads talking about Autism, ABA, resources. For a change, Indian men were not talking about politics, work or stock market or cricket match for that matter. 
A mom got tea and snacks for everyone. Some brought home made snacks, fruits and cookies and everything looked so tempting but more than that it was the warmth I could feel. They were strangers a few minutes ago and before we realized we were in each other’s lives like we have been there forever.
Soon we started the formal introduction session and there came so many heartwarming stories. The need for this kind of group, meet ups and support for one another is immense and unquantifiable . The idea of a family picnic was very well received and we all agreed to do it more often this summer. The introduction brought so many stories.I need to write another post about it. Anand didn’t participate but stayed around. The snack stand was tempting enough for him to stay there, he walked around and came to me from time to time for money, he did want to go back home but didn’t push too much. We could stay in the park without a meltdown. That itself was a victory for me. 
3 hours later, in the car I was thinking how to explain the importance of the picnic to all of us. It started as an idea but the outcome was very encouraging. Seeing those pictures is making my heart swell with pride. 

Please find a park near you with a fenced play area, picnic table and enough parking. You all are my resource and I depend on you to continue..


My boys walking to the snack stand. It was so wonderful to have them around. So many could meet the man who inspires me to do it better every day.


This picture remains my fav of the day. This kid’s mom felt so alone and all of sudden she has 100+ friends. They drove from Quincy.. She is ready to do it again..


First water then sand.. How happy he was. 

Nara Park. Beach area.. We were surprised  how beautiful the day turned out to be .


Two dads chatting .. 
















1 comment: