Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Walking into a meeting totally unprepared.. and you come out .. just happy beyond words.

It was one of those rare incidents when I didn’t know what to prepare for this meeting. I have never found myself so clueless, didn’t have any plans as to what to ask and specifics to talk about. All I walked in with was one wish, a little information session for moms about DDS.(Department of Developmental Services )
A drive from Quincy to the DDS office in South Boston, the drive so awaited and beautiful. I had thought I would stop and sit on a bench overlooking the lake for 15 minutes before I drove in, have been meaning to do that every time I cross Rt 3 Malibu beach area in Dorchester, but rain made me change my plan. A rainy afternoon and a weird mood swing, I just drove not knowing what to expect. While parking I noticed the very French restaurant I so wanted to visit  in South Boston and made a mental note of stopping there after my meeting.
The garage guy told me it would cost me $7 for two hours and I thought even though I am early I would still have at least 30-40 minute at the restaurant. A glass of wine would be nice before the long ride home.
I walked in and was pleasantly surprised with the office atmosphere. The decor was very pleasing and calming. Somehow it just made me feel welcomed. Soon I was asked to come into the meeting room. I was to meet DDS commissioner Jane Ryder. I had met her last year in a federation conference. Not sure if it was my work or my saree but she could recognize me when we met this year again on April 2nd at the Massachusetts State House. . Again the blue saree started the conversation.

Today I was to meet her and her team to get some help for my Moms Network. I assumed that I would be there for 30 minutes but once we started talking there was no stopping. I forgot that I was in the room with 3 top DDS people, all I noticed were people who wanted to help, were eager to know more about us and ready to find the best way to find the best solutions and provide the help DDS offered. After so many stories and conversations she actually gave me way more than I had expected. I was expecting one speaker for one of the dinners I organize for the Moms for an hour or so, but she offered beyond that. They all were so empathetic and willing to help us and make our life easier. I shared pictures of my boys, shared stories from Moms network, gave them a glimpse of our culture and upbringing and our own struggle to get over the disappointments we all have in our life.

Jane has a brother with needs, actually that’s what I remembered from her speech in that conference.  For me the sister in her will always be more powerful and appealing than the commissioner in her. Her Deputy- Elizabeth and Director of Family Support - Margaret were so supportive and full of ideas. With the 3 of them around,I felt so heard and appreciated. They were very kind not only to provide the education and support but space as well to host the information session. 
I so wanted to be mindful of their time but they were very patient, welcoming and attentive listeners . I wrapped up way later than my allotted time, thanked them and took a picture with Jane and Elizabeth. Walking out of that building I could feel nothing but gratitude and just pure happiness. I was so excited and happy that just wanted to drive back home. Gaslight dinner and wine could wait for another trip. On my way home I couldn't wait to share all the details with Ashish. When I walked in after a very long and rainy drive I was glad I skipped the french dinner as I come back to a home made Indian dinner with white wine waiting for me. Sometimes it is wonderful to be treated as a queen when you live with 3 men.

Today its all about #lifeisgood #gratitude #thankfulness



 Standing next to Jane I so missed my village, Please know each one of you were in my mind.

Elizabeth Morse - Deputy Commissioner DDS she is working on making it easier for families to access services. Missed having Margret in our picture. Elizabeth and M both took notes while listening to our stories.I didn't care how I looked after a long day but the happiness is my make up for this picture.

The first meet in Federation conference March 2018


  And then we met again in April 2019 at state house. Thank you for your time Ms Ryder. 



Gaslight, I will be back soon, last night it was worth coming back home too. flowers and food from a friend and wine from the man. I couldn't have asked for anything better  even after long drive back home which I enjoyed, the phone calls to some moms and friends helped me ignore the crazy traffic.




No comments:

Post a Comment