Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Are you building your village?

12  women sitting around the table in a busy cafe in Newton, Mass. Most of them hadn’t met before and the guest was meeting everyone for the first time. Yet we all were connected. We all had something in common. Saree - yes definitely but more than that it was the longing for human connection , away from homeland. We all have left parents, siblings, cousins and friends and miss them tremendously but we didn’t stop there, we found people who were not part of our past but we made them a part of our present . 


It was one of those evenings when  the Saree group came together to welcome someone we knew just by her stories. A village, one of it’s own kinds. Hope you are making a conscious effort to bring people in your life and keeping them with you. Wish you a thriving village to support you in every possible way. A simple Bengal taant for the evening , Sandhya  walked in in a Blue Ashavali, honoring my work in Autism Awareness, how incredible is that. She hugged me saying she has been reading my stories and appreciates what I do for the families. Well, she had me with her warm smile, a hug and a blue saree. 


She was exactly what I needed that weekend. I wish I had a better way of explaining this but I learned a little late in the life that sometimes we need to build our kid’s village too. I have plenty of people around me but I don't think it’s the same for my kids.  Last Saturday I witnessed those people supporting my kid too. We had Anand’s “person centered planning” meeting and I wanted to keep it really close-knit as Anand wouldn’t have opened up in front of so many people. 

That deserves a post in itself but for now please read about “person centered planning” and you will know how everyone needs it ,not only my son.


Saree of the day - A Bengal Taant, from Calcutta, bought by a middle school friend, She is my Bengal weave fairy, assigned shopper. I she loves shopping and I love her selection, works for both of us. Soma, Thank you for enriching my Saree Village.


Our amazing guest 

No comments:

Post a Comment