Sunday, January 28, 2018

Independence – How we define it.. and what it means for any of us.

When I was packing last Sunday (1/21) this post could have been a story of apprehension, worries, gratitude, preparation and what ifs. But today after a week it is just all about pride and gratitude. So proud that we have come a long way and so thankful to have people around who helped us in many way to reach this far.
A dear friend visited New Orleans during Christmas break and I got a text very next day – “you should go to NO with Ashish, your kind of place. Fun, Music, food and lots of booze.” And when she got back she kept sending me the airline deals and rallied around with two other friends that Ashish and I should take a break... Untill I booked the tickets finally on Jan 13th, I knew between 3 of them Anand will be fine.
During this time, I have been having those conversation with Anand about us going away for couple of days and every time it wasn’t a happy conversation. He was stuck with the idea that I should go alone, “don’t DRAG dad”, yes he exactly used those words.
Ashish and I went away last year to Vegas, first time without kids. Ajey was home for his break so It didn’t interrupt Anand’s life at all but this time it was totally different. We thought he would stay with one of our friends. When he heard, tickets were booked, he was angry but not beyond control. That was a good sign.
Finally, during those conversation, he said he will stay at home, alone. I didn’t know how to react. That was the idea overall, Anand being independent but was I really ready for this? From school to homework to dinner prep and lunches everything in my mind. But who was I to decide what my 17 years old would do when I am not around. And the plan began to take shape.
Anand decided he will stay home and make his dinner. I wasn’t to decide what to eat during those 4 days. And I agreed even if that means he eats Pasta, frozen pizza and instant noodles. By this time, I was a worried, proud mom who wasn’t sure if going away was really this great idea it sounded. But soon things got settled and we went over the back up plans, his rides for after school activities and text msg rule. He even arranged a ride back home after his leader’s program for Thursday night. When I was packing on Sunday I wasn’t sure what to feel. But here we were going away leaving Anand home alone. And Guess what - Anand watched that movie on Sunday night :)

When I met my friends on Monday I was grateful more so ever, to have them around and make my world wonderful and full of joy. And I began to feel the excitement for a city we have never been before..
Stay tuned for what happens next..
Below is the image of our plane to New Orleans on Tuesday.. A rainy afternoon in Boston. perfect image of my mind -  foggy, wet, soothing, cold and breezy and hopeful for bright sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment