Saturday, February 24, 2018

Be a part of something bigger.

A day well spent in Boston University.
Please visit.
https://www.bu.edu/autism/
Anand spent his Thursday of vacation week in Boston University.

Anand was part of Child Auditory Processing Studies (CAPS)


 Amazing Sophie, the researcher.. her brother inspired her to study Brain

During our lunch break .. I couldn't stop wondering if someone from his crowd will find  cure for cancer or invent something ..
I have always believed in therapy and science more than “treatment” so we welcome any opportunity to be part of any study. I never cared what we get now, as I always said it is not for us, it is for next generation. Off course now when Anand can decide what he wants to do,the incentives work for him.
School vacation weeks are always tough as it gets boring for him. No friends, nothing to do so we try to do stuff as family but many a times it’s not enough. So when the Boston university had an opening we gladly agreed to do it. A day in the city..how can you let it pass.
The team was wonderful and they understood the need to “pre-plan” so going in we exactly knew the schedule. We knew we cannot make multiple trips so they put together a plan to do everything in one day, 4 and half hour schedule.
While going in little I knew I would get to meet some wonderful people in the field. I had an opportunity to spend time with the center director and she amazed me with her drive to find answers in this field. She has been to various part of the world. She grew up in London so obviously, she was very much familiar with India and its whole aura. We talked about culture and its role in disability world. Loved listening to story of her India trip and experience of Benaras.
The researcher of this study wants to find answer because her brother has autism. I loved hanging out in the center and exploring what is going on in that field. Finally, I was introduced to a young future doctor “R” who is from an Indian family and her uncle has Autism. He was abandoned by his biological father because of disability and R’s family adopted him. The magic of humankind and that inspired R to be a Neuro Doc. While I was busy socializing, my son was busy doing his part. This particular study analyzes the brain EEG.
Anand was paid and he spent his money buying his favorite game. His mother was happy with free parking.

On my way back I was thinking how we all are part of something bigger. Please consider being part of research, We need to find answers to many questions.

1 comment: