Sunday, February 11, 2018

Time to break many more ceilings.

I have been there before, have shared my stories on numerous occasion but this time it was different. It was not my usual crowd, they are what I was last year. This group changed things for me, my idea of social activism and being a participant in local politics. Yesterday I went to address the class of 2018 MFOFC (read here) about my experience. And It was interesting to explain and see what being a part of MFOFC did to me. The first class was all about history of MFOFC. I was in awe when I heard about parents who paved the way for future parents and was very inspired. I could share my story and suggest them what I could do better. I hope I could prove my point that we all are tiny part of a big system but together we are the agent of change. Being there reminded me all over again that change is inevitable in life. While growing up I hated politics and politicians but now I believe in power of “us”. I sure believe in doing our part, being an advocate of change and not wait for someone else to do that for us. It was my way of giving back to my community that I have been very proud part of.
MFOFC provides an amazing platform to educate parents about their social rights and awareness about political involvement.

At the same time, I couldn’t stop wondering about my own journey, how far I have come. I grew up in one of the most politically corrupt countries on earth. That made me deter from the political process and soon I lost any hope in democracy at all for that matter. That could have been one of the major factor in us moving from India too, the struggle with day-to-day life and corruption being part of each and everything. It may not be the perfect solution and doesn’t do any good. Last year’s election changed many things in our life and as my older son said it created a whole new generation of social activist. Little he knew that his mom was one of them. Those last two months of 2016 were of introspection and sure being a special mom fueled that big time. the changes in government policies and the fear around it made me think differently. And when I heard of MFOFC it just struck the right cord. I was sold that every parent should be part of political process because it is the future of our kids. I joined MFOFC session not knowing anything and I came out having a burning desire to make this world a better place for our kids. I think I did my share are you ready to do yours?






Below is my picture with Ms. Spicer. my Facebook status read that night.
Last election America couldn't break the glass ceiling. Framingham made history. The City chose its first mayor..a female colored woman.. Yvonne Spicer.. 
Oprah was right in when she said some one is watching somewhere and getting inspired.. I am sure the first Mayor of Framingham sure inspired many. I sure am one of them.

1 comment:

  1. The changes in government policies and the fear around it made me think differently.
    airport parking Stansted

    ReplyDelete