Thursday, February 15, 2018

Diversity and cultural inclusion - a step in right direction

Years ago, when we moved to Franklin, I was a mom of two boys, happy, full of energy, young. The wound of 9/11 was still very fresh so building a secular world for our kids was the dream. I did whatever I could as a mom. Raised kids to be good human being. Religion and race were topics of discussion and question, never dictated our life. I still remember my new comer days in Franklin and how difficult it was for me. The town wasn’t “friendly” to me but soon I found my people and soon franklin became “Home”.  Over the years many more Indian families moved in but I still felt the town wasn’t ready and it still made me feel “outsider” sometimes. I have been lucky to have wonderful people in my life. With Ajey and Anand both I have been lucky to encounter some wonderful educators in franklin. The education journey started with Mrs Roberts and Mrs. Y in first and second grade. Mrs Roberts made that the Brown kidin the whole white school feels he belongs there. And his mother could be part of that journey in various ways. Mrs. Y taught him everything about making his own place in the world, she encouraged his love for geography and math and help him combine his Asian values and American upbringing to a perfect blend.
Ajey’s 4th grade teacher, Ann Williams, was the one who took the cultural education in his elementary school to a different level . I was a book mom in that class and soon we both shared a wonderful friendship. We both learnt a great deal from each other. I wore saree for her class and she learnt and taught her students about India. She is the one who started “no homework on Diwali”. For me she will always remain a champion of cultural diversity. Ajey's middle school teacher Mr Vacca is one of those people who have their own take on teaching the right way and right thing. My son knew more about religious diversity because of him. I can never thank him enough for changing my sons take on religion and its place in everyones life.

Franklin grew since then, there are more Asian and Indians now than ever but I still don’t see the cultural diversity awareness. So, when I got a chance I didn’t miss it and initiated the conversation about diversity and cultural inclusion, and I did raise the topic with school committee. I get disappointed when Diwali goes unnoticed in school newsletter or announcements. I have been talking during school meetings and finally this was a topic on tonight’s meeting. I walked in beautiful Franklin library with my saree draped with pride and couldn’t have been happier. In that meeting, we talked about the importance of cultural diversity, education and how important it is for our kids. I realize we all want the same thing for our kids – a better world. I couldn’t be any prouder of my fellow town and committee members. Looks like we are off to a good start. A belief reaffirmed- keep doing if you believe in something whole heartedly. It will change things, slowly may be.. but it sure will.


No comments:

Post a Comment