Monday, February 27, 2023

Looking for support - journey of 10 years how far we have come

Last night I was trying to post in a group - about Federation’s Vision of community conference.

The FB group - “Indians in Boston - Boston Desi’s” and thought of checking my last post. Looks like I hadn’t posted anything but once. Oct 2012- asking for support.

Here I was reminded me of my past. 10+ years ago,  You can imagine what social media was at that time, not much for disability support groups or information. But I was so desperate that I posted on a site looking for it. No-one responded or reached out , just two likes (thumbs up).

And fast forward here I was posting information to support families who are like mine. 

I remember frantically looking for families and any kind of cultural support not knowing where to look for, whom to reach out. I had already wasted few years living in my shell. I couldn’t find anything that time but then 2013 changed many things. I went for 3 support group meetings and a moms retreat and then rest is history. Those “failed” attempt to find support led me to build “Desi Moms Network”

Today I urge you to open your heart and world to families who needs it. Someday it will come back to you in multiple folds.

This was the reminder of my journey and now after 10 years this coming weekend I will be addressing “Build your Village” at “Vision of Community” conference hosted by Federation for Children with Special Needs.  



Dressed up for a celebration - 50th Bday party - My village is something I am grateful for, Met many new people, but some of them were aware of my work and wanted to express their appreciation and asked if and how they can help families. The host must have talked about me with her friends. How interesting the way we expand our village. 


No comments:

Post a Comment