Monday, February 6, 2023

Who is in your village? How do you decide?

Its been almost 7 years I have been talking about “village” I had the privilege of knowing some amazing moms who are passionate and trailblazer in special needs world. They are not Indian so we connected over other things than our culture. We connected over who we are as women, mom, friend and thinkers. They explained nuances of American life, movies, songs to me and I talked about Indian food, sarees, Indianness and what makes me Desi.

Few years down the road I realized how uncommon it was for Desi Moms to have this kind of village. These moms were raising their children all alone, as an islands. And I felt obligated to initiate a village for them, a very desi one. Not even once it occurred to me that the same idea was needed outside my own cultural community. I always thought everyone else always had one. And I was so wrong.

Over the year Desi Moms Network had evolved and I credit all the moms in the group to make what it is today. They held each other’s hand, took my idea and made their’s. Some of them created a family away from family in this very group.

I have been asked multiple time, why not expand it to non desi families, they deserved something like that too. I feel obligated to do so but at the same time I am afraid to loose the “Desi-nees” it carries within.

How do you make friends? what do you look for? How do decide to let people come close to your heart? What is your story? Would you expand your village beyond any borders?


Desi Moms Network is a group of Moms in Boston, MA with Children with special needs.

 A printed silk saree - my first introduction to chickpet ( Bangalore) I bought many of those, I think I was possessed by Saree greed. I think chickpet can do that to you :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment