Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Valentine day post- are you a different person too? My story

 When Ajey got his first internship money I was that demanding mom who asked for a share. In my mind I was teaching him “caring”. We all went for dinner and Dad got a scotch, Anand got a game and Ajey bought Sarees for all the women in the family.

His aunts and grandmothers still remember it fondly. 

I wish I could teach the same to Anand but he makes sure his mom stays grounded. Anand started working a few months ago and since then he has decided to use his money for his “stuff” and for fun. I did remind him to get dad and brother something and when I was in India, dad and Ajey enjoyed a lunch out, also Anand paid for a grocery store run too I heard. 

One of those happy days he offered to pay for my BJ’s shopping and I gently reminded that I want a “treat” not money and also in a restaurant of my choice not Panera :) I knew that day I was in a good place so I stretched my demand :)

I was away for a couple of days and I guess “absence does make the heart grow fonder” I was welcomed at the airport at an ungodly hour with hugs and words  “welcome home” and I could sit in the front seat. If you know Anand then you know how big a deal all these things are.

The Valentine’s day evening was the perfect to pitch in the idea of dinner out. We chose a new Indian restaurant, he looked at the menu and agreed to try a new place. No waiting, great service, fabulous food and Anand’s treat made it a perfect Valentine’s Day gift for me. I am not one to make a big deal of these hallmark commercial days but someone once said - “Take it as it is the day when people stop everyday life and acknowledge someone we care, appreciate and love.” I guess that’s a good enough reason. Chocolates are still a no no but I sure am getting better with flowers :) Happy acknowledging - “love you”, “I care for you” day to you too.










No comments:

Post a Comment