Followers

Thursday, August 8, 2024

Gratitude and Service: Travel - What We Miss When We Return Home

 Travel makes us wiser and smarter in many ways. It opens up the world, and in many cases, might even make us long for home. How many of us miss our own bed and a simple home-cooked meal after a great vacation?

It can work the other way around, too. As I reflect on my trip, I miss the people who made it memorable. I miss having the room ready, an ice-filled bucket, a clean bathroom, and neatly folded towels. I miss the amazing meals and attentive service. I miss someone taking care of the dishes.

Specifically, I miss the room stewards Abdul and Dary, the food manager Moez, and the servers in the main dining room, Tony and Tufael (who sang the one Hindi song they knew, tried to speak a bit of Hindi, and even learned some).

I always thought the service in Indian resorts and hotels was the best, thanks to less expensive labor. But then I went to an all-inclusive resort in Cancun, Mexico, and discovered that service could reach a whole new level. On this cruise, I encountered staff who were consistently smiling and kind to everyone they met. The crew works almost eight months non-stop, without weekends or federal holidays off. The cruise ship charges a gratuity per person per day, so the staff isn’t dependent on our tips.

I was genuinely grateful for their respect and care. I made sure they knew they were valued and appreciated, not only by leaving a tip but also by informing guest services and sending a note to the cruise line.

But a question arises: Is it about how they treat you, or how you treat them? What do you think? Do you believe they are getting paid to be courteous, or do they expect more in return? I observed a lot during that one-week voyage and could write a whole post about it. how each passenger has their own perspective on "service" and whether they see it as a right or a privilege. Perhaps another day.

Amma's Saree for the last night. She travelled me with everywhere. I just miss not being able to tell her all the stories and the video calls. 

I told them on day 2 not to waste their time on doing towel art or making flowers with toilet roll.
 The food manager knew how much I loved my view seating, He couldn't get us for dinner ( a big group of 18 people) but made sure I get that for breakfasts.
Our server Tony made this dress for me. 
 Moez and his assistant dealt with our demands so nicely, a hug group, 5 kids, 7 ladies and 6 men. Some vegetarian, some will have meals without onion garlic, some would love meat , some would want only Indian and some would want something new :) 
The last night I was coming out after the dinner and Moez asked me if I would want to say hello to the crew.  He introduced me to them as the best dressed woman on the ship - I tell you - Saree simply is magical. 

The photographer Bonnie, took pics non stop with a smile and lot of patient.








No comments:

Post a Comment