Followers

Sunday, August 18, 2024

The Color and Sign of Grief and support

 The past week has been incredibly tough. A family from the Desi Moms Network lost their only child in an accident. My heart goes out to the parents, and I’ve been reflecting on the challenges of raising a child with special needs.

Last month, in a completely different scenario from my non Indian village, a mom I’ve known for a few years passed away unexpectedly, leaving behind her two special needs children. These two deaths have shaken me to the core. They highlight the unique difficulties that special needs families face—the loneliness, the uncertainty, and the physical or emotional distance from extended family.


How do you support them after a tragedy? What can you do? I have a list of requests I could make to friends for help, and I’m fortunate to have a supportive village beside me. But how many of these families are dealing with everything alone?

I was amazed at the number of people who came to pay their respects on a working Friday morning. They were there to support the parents in any way they could. The same happened for the other family. The mom is gone, but friends stepped up to take care of the children, the household, and the finances.


But is this enough? Why do we rush to support someone only after a tragedy occurs? Why not extend a helping hand before something drastic happens?

Are you one of those friends who wants to help but doesn’t know how? Have you ever asked beyond, “How can I help?”


The memorial service announcement requested a touch of blue. Autism Awareness pins were distributed. I hope attendees take it seriously and find a way to support the families around them.



No comments:

Post a Comment