Sunday, April 5, 2020

Your wish is my command.

Day 22 Friday 4/3  and Day 23 4/4 Saturday

It’s been 4 weeks of being home and when I think about it, it feels like an impossible thing to do. I do claim and believe that I am doing OK, much better than I thought I would but today husband pointed out that I am not accepting the fact that I am not sleeping well. May be.. I wasn’t a good sleeper anyway but it’s been a little worse. I find myself awake at 2-3 AM and have trouble going back to sleep for another hour or may be 2 then fall back asleep.
Sometimes I wonder if someone else is awake at the same time. You know like the saying -3 AM buddy. So other than this sleep issue we are doing OK. We are surviving not having a cleaning lady and cooking is still my passion. Actually life is not very much different for the 3 of us. Work is keeping us busy Monday to Friday. It’s Anand who hasn’t any structure  in his days and for me no outside activities on calendar. My social calendar is still busy, may be more than before. Thank goodness for Zoom, FaceTime and google hangout.
As I mentioned I am working on keeping  away from news all day long. But still worries pop in. What’s next is the question on all our minds and it shows in everything we do.
Friday I had fun introducing Zoom to my highschool friends. So many of us are so different yet we share the same roots. It’s funny that’s how the conversation started, worried for each other. Checking up on each other rather than talking about our life, kids and husbands.  Life is so unpredictable. I could never have imagined talking to each other on Zoom.
Saturday began as another weekend, just the way Ashish likes it. No agenda, no todo list, no social engagement.  The lunch from yesterday was our breakfast today. Usual India calls with family and friends. An awesome lunch of Dal Dosa (adai),sambhar and Chutney and then an afternoon nap. Such a luxury.
When I woke up I was just not happy that things were just so dull. Decided to make it a little fun. A family drove to get another lot of books for their kids. The books were in the car trunk for more than 3 weeks so safe to carry. The parking lot chat from distance are becoming the new norm now.
I made Chicken curry and roti Indian style and husband set up the dinner date. I wanted  dinner out of ordinary and it just worked out in a way I couldn’t imagine. The fire pit was put to use, wine, speakers and ghazals came out. Ajey was busy with his calls and Anand decided to watch his movie in the living room.
Ashish and I played the music we enjoyed, ate food we love with crisp wine and crisp air.
Years ago when I moved to this town I was introduced to the fire pit on a halloween evening. Sandy makes the best Jello shots, cooks and lights the fire. Parents hangout while kids go trick or treating in the neighborhood. I so love the idea and cannot thank her enough. I mean I did grow up in India and it’s so common during the winter days to have a fire and roast fresh green chana (chickpeas) in the fire but never thought of it as a date idea.
Today the men I love, one next to me in person and the other on the speakers made me forget the whole pandemic we are dealing with. For that some time I just lived in a fantasy world, where none of the suffering mattered.
Ashish admitted that he couldn’t have thought of it or planned this himself but he executed my idea with perfection.

Thats what I want to remember not 8452 deaths I had just noticed as of 8.40 PM om 4/4

The Lunch on Saturday. Saboodana khichadi
 Sunday lunch - Adai, chutney and Sambhar. Thanks to all my south Indian friends for inspiring me.
 Sometimes love and care looks like this. a friend did my shopping with hers so I could avoid one trip to BJ's #blessings in form of friends. 

and another one stitches and drops the mask 
 and the evening Saga. I think that is becoming my new normal 





No comments:

Post a Comment