Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Bday wishes for Papa July 21st, 2021 - Celebrate - Love, Respect and Culture

It was a busy and a long day.  I am tired, exhausted but happy. 

Today is July 21st, My dad’s birthday and a dear friend’s too. She is a year plus younger to me but has taken up the “caretaker” role. I like it when she behaves like one just because she shares the day with my dad.

I was invited by Mass Families ( an organization here in MA) to speak today about “Embracing Your Culture”. 

I have always been known as “ahead of my time or place”, have a different attitude towards things, not a typical woman. So this topic intrigued me but at the same time I understood the need to handle it delicately. 

I decided to go “My way” and not talk about pros and cons of any culture. I talked about “our culture”. The talk started with an introduction to my family, India, values and how we define culture.

My most favorite part was the Q and A session. It was off line so I didn’t have to be politically correct while speaking . I could be my own person. I could voice what the moms from Desi Moms Network have told me over and over again. How their own “culture” and families, friends and relatives are not part of their lives. “Our culture lacks empathy” a mom had told me.

Well, that is a topic for another day. I will come back to analyze  “disability, mental health, stigma and Indian culture” some other day. Today I want to end my day wishing my dad and my friend a happy and healthy life. I celebrated his birthday  with a morning call with him, a zoom call with cousins wishing him on his birthday and evening tea with my dear friend.

Well, it has been a long and tiring but very happy day. I wish you the same .



Dont miss my shoes :) and Flowers. 

My friends neighbors were celebrating their son's 6th Bday. Loved the decor. so it was for Joey, Papa and Viba - Happy Bday..


No comments:

Post a Comment