Friday, July 2, 2021

Build you village - your interest matters too

I have always been a woman with her own idea and opinion driven by mix of logic and emotions.

It took time but now I feel people see value in my words. My idea of building your village NOT based on your issues is finally making sense to people. I have had those conversation many times and now people are noticing that “Desi Moms Network” is not your “typical” support group. It is also not  your usual “Girls night out group” either. It is a long term vision keeping all aspects of life in mind. 

It is heartwarming to see your ideas being valued beyond your own community. I was invited by YLF (youth leadership forum)  to speak with a set of parents. 


The invite said-  “We would like to welcome parents of YLF Delegates and Peer Leaders to our last drop-in parent group with a discussion led by Jaya Pandey. Jaya is a 2021 graduate of the MassFamilies Leadership Series.Jaya will share her journey and need for building a village NOT based on disability. Based on common interest, respect, value and appreciation and friendship. Please join us.”


It was a beautiful Monday evening and I loved talking about my idea of “village” I could feel how difficult it was for parents to think “beyond” their kids. In the beginning I asked few questions and restricted them to answer with kid or family. The exercise was to reinforce knowing themselves.

  1. What makes you happy - “you”- cannot include your kid and family
  2. If you are given a day what will you do - just for you
  3. One thing you dream about 
  4. Think of one place you would want to go - alone

The questions forced them to rethink their life and many said it was very hard for them to separate anything from their families but at the same time they agreed that it made them rethink. They promised to start thinking in that direction. That was a victory in itself for me.

Meanwhile you tell me if you have thought about it? an assignment for you??? 


A gift from a friend, When she came visiting, dropping her daughter to school. I got 6 of these beauties. 



Things fall into place, a scene from my walk
I went to have a tea with a friend after a very difficult day. A part of my village based on mutual appreciation. much needed break. 


No comments:

Post a Comment