Monday, April 15, 2024

Reflections on Rituals: A Journey of Tradition and Modernity - Prayagraj Trip

 My Amma was progressive but believed in rituals and customs. She donated herself to science but also wanted to have last rites and rituals performed for her.

My sister, Varsha, was the "karta," the one who performed all the rituals with her whole heart. We performed Amma’s 10th, 11th, and 12th day rituals in Prayagraj.

All three of my sisters believe in Hindu Dharma’s rituals, but Amma made sure I experienced them too. She knew I wouldn’t have done any of these if not for this way.

The three of us (my sister and brother-in-law) drove over 600 km, a 14-hour journey one way. I witnessed a whole different world in those three days. I observed everything and talked to many. The concept of "on the way to Moksha for the departed soul" doesn't make much sense to me, but being there made me wonder what it is in these rituals that people feel obligated to follow.

So many people come to these places just to bid final goodbyes to their loved ones and move on with their lives, while believing that their loved ones are on their way to another galaxy or whatever afterlife concept they believe in.


What is your take? Did you do the same for your loved one? Would you like the same for yourself?

A simple linen from my sister's closet - perfect for this weather.

Love for good food was certainly one of Amma’s genes that I inherited. While my sister followed strict protocol, I explored the city’s food scene. This particular food joint was suggested by a friend. I think I found my Moksha in that place; I ate there all three days. The owner and staff treated me royally, making sure I got seated without waiting in that jam-packed place.












No comments:

Post a Comment