Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Be there, speak up and be heard - sometime that is enough to start a change -

An evening with Mass families April5th, 2021

Mondays are tough and Anand was on defiant mood so it was even harder. It is a thing to witness how one person can rule the house. All 3 of us are so helpless when he is in this mood. In the morning I got to know that Anand didn’t get into the program we had applied to for next year. I just felt exhausted and spent. Somehow we got through the day but it was so draining. Anand finally calmed down. By the time the evening rolled around I was totally done but I couldn’t just sit and watch TV. I needed to refresh and feel powerful enough to be heard. An important call was on my calendar last night.


Mass families is an organization empowering parents and encouraging them to be a part of bringing positive changes. Last night was one of those nights when families were talking to  Members of the Massachusetts Black and Latino Legislative Caucus (MBLLC), a group of State Senators and representatives. 

To restore myself I did what I am good at, reaching out. 3 dear friends could read what was behind my text, the responses in form of texts and calls were magical. I am smiling typing this how well they know me. One said -“Shower, a beautiful saree, a flower in your hair and a favorite glass of wine” and I exactly did that sans the wine. Coincidently the flower was from her garden. Isn’t it amazing when you don’t have to find a solution, someone has it already laid out for you. You just need to implement it. 


The call was a success, the families talked about their life but for a change I didn’t. I talked about “Desi Moms Network” and the life of an immigrant, as a brown woman in general. How important access to information and support is, how important it is to feel supported and heard. There were 9 more Desi (Indian) families present from our Desi Moms Network. I am so proud of them for being there for me and show how powerful the representation is.


When the call started I wished I had written something but later I was happy that I did not have a script. I might have been all over the place  

but I was loud enough and felt impactful, that’s what everyone said but the biggest testimony came from the author of the bill. - “I did not even know how much I needed your remarks tonight until I heard you deliver them, Thank you so, so, so much” 

Last night I went to bed in a much better place. Sometimes it is enough just to be there and speak and someone will listen. Change will not come over night but one step at time and that is what we need to focus on. 



A beautiful Ikat from Ally Matthan, Co-founder of 100SareePact, Blue and Red and Ikat - what not to love. It is becoming my togo saree, a simple cotton, beautiful and soft drape.



No comments:

Post a Comment