Sunday, April 11, 2021

My adopted parents - Wish you have one of those in your life too

  Written on 4/9

Anand was a year old and one evening that fall he rushed to Ashish and spilled tea all over himself . We put him in the tub, took his shirt off and the skin came off from his cheeks and chest. One of the most terrifying days of my life. We rushed to the hospital and after some dressing he was sent back home. Ashish went back to work on Monday and I was home with the boys. Ajey was in preschool at that time. I don’t remember many details of those days. I just remember how a relationship I formed with a couple helped me get through those difficult days.

We lived in Windsor Gardens in Norwood, a huge apartment complex with 100s of apartments , full of Indians. All the visiting parents would walk and hangout together. That summer a mom came to visit her son who lived downstairs in our building. I would see her walking with another set of parents often. One day I was in the local grocery store and I saw them shopping. I insisted they shouldn’t walk back home with the stuff and that I would drop them. That was our first introduction. Today he reminded me of this incident citing how stubborn I was in the store that they had no choice but to come with me, were not walking with the stuff. Their daughter was busy with her double masters who lived in the adjoining building. I really liked them and they took me in as another daughter and I did take care of them as my own. I remember I took them everywhere I went.

When Anand got burnt they took the job of caring grandparents. They would come every afternoon so I could leave Anand napping and go for a shower. I am sure I must have cooked for them some time but all I remember is how they nurtured my soul in those days. It’s been almost 20 yrs and I am still their adopted daughter. They come to USA frequently to visit their daughter and we get to meet. Our relationship is mutual and simple. We adore each other, WhatsApp once in a while and meet when they are here. They bring calm to my fast paced and loud life.

Today I went to visit them. After a not so happy week with Anand I so needed their love and I felt really helpless at not being able to hug them. I think Aai(mother) is the only person I cried in front of a few years ago about Anand’s diagnosis. She didn’t say a word just ran her fingers through my hair. I think that was the only time I cried on someone’s shoulder for our shattered dreams.
I spent very little time with them today but it was just enough to nurture my soul. My Sangali wale Aai - Baba ( They are from Sangali) 

Once I was in Bangalore and Baba called - my dad took the call and asked who he was , and Baba said - Jaya's Sangali wala baba and My dad responded I am his Balaghat wala papa :) I so wish they all could meet.
Aai baba and their Samdhan 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment