Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Some day we won't need to hire advocates for our children, we will be enough

This evening I was trying to get ready and my phone buzzed -

 “Do you personally think that we, as the parent of special need children definitely needs to hire an advocate for our children's progress? I think as a mom of special Need child we should need to know how to handle your child and how to talk professionally in the IEP meetings But it's not always easy at least for me :(  "


It was an important day.  I was joining a board and also appointed their treasurer. Somehow the evening was tiring and emotionally draining. I blamed the vaccine for it but it’s been more than 48 hours. I think some day I will face my own fears and deal with it head on. I was having a hard day myself. Trying to figure out whats next for Anand and also how to let go and not get stuck with the past.

 I was taking out a saree for the evening and that text message flashed. A mom from Desi Moms Network was having a rough day. I so wish I could just pick up the phone and call her or give her a hug. I know how the day of IEP meeting goes for every Special Need parent. 

Her questions made me think. Here I was joining the board of an organization that works on grassroots level to support special need families in various ways. But is it enough? Where do we need to start for support, training and political changes ? How can we make it better? What do we need to do so a mother doesn’t wonder if we cannot do better without an advocate present at an IEP meeting? “I feel frustrated” that’s what is still stuck with me.

I will write about it more later, today I want to thank Mass Families for making me one of them. I look forward to learning and working and hopefully one day I can answer another mom - “No, we don’t need advocates for our children, we are enough,  we know what is best for them and we will get there.”


The advocate is an Educational Consultant who provides guidance to the families in regards to getting the right services for their child in school. 

 A bengal cotton came out of closet to mark this day. I have decided to be as Desi I could be for all the meetings. Its time to flaunt who I am :) a hard core desi mom 


I just found this pic today. A surprise baby shower ( Anand) hosted by a dear friend. Not sure what Ajey and I were talking. Might be what kind of car his brother would like?



No comments:

Post a Comment