Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Give us a chance - the video "This is Us" please watch

 When I started building this Moms Community I had a very clear vision. Every Mom with a special needs child should have friends who get her, understand her and support her. Regardless of their education, status, qualification and socio economic status - here they should be partners. I knew the final product and was tweaking the process as every family is different. It’s not that I was doing something unique, there were and are so many support groups but my approach was totally different. I wanted the child and disability later - Mom as a person first. Every support group I went to the introduction always started with the kids. 

Having said that I knew we are not what we are without our kids. So I was very clear on that front too, that it was not just a regular girl friends group either. The most difficult task is explaining that to someone who doesn’t even know you. The first phone call I make I have to stop the mothers and remind them that this call is all about them not the child. 

So many have said to me that they have forgotten who they are as a person, their individuality. They don’t even remember what they would do for themselves, what is their favorite activity. Soon they understand what I am trying to do, my gentle nudges get them back on track if needed. 

When they come together at the first dinner, meet, picnic or zoom call they realize how important it is to be a “person ” for that time. They connect as individuals not “as a mom with a special needs kid” and then friendship blossoms. 


On April 2nd we released a video, a snap shot of our lives collectively. A mom envisioned, many came forward to help  and another one spent hours and made the video.

My morning of Autism Awareness Day was spent with people across the world but my evening was just for these moms. We all joined the zoom call and watch the video - for those 13 minutes, we totally forgot who we were. I can guarantee you that you will forget too.

The message is simple - give us a chance, invest in us, make us a part of your life and be there for us.  Please watch this video and let us know - "This is Us"

 

You Tube link -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5FbXOFvTbw



A two saree day - another blue - Its so Amma style saree, simple and light 






No comments:

Post a Comment