Friday, March 1, 2024

A willingness to go above and beyond - How far is too far?

 Years ago, when Anand was diagnosed, I needed help with so many things. However, I didn’t know a single person in my circle who dealt with special education, IEP, or self-care. Desi Moms Network is a result of that struggle. One might think I did a good job, but over the years, I met some amazing moms in this field, and they motivate and inspire me every day.

One of them did so way before me—a single Asian mom with more on her plate but the wish to do something for her community is exemplary. Over the years, I got to know her better. We became friends, and the culture and community were major factors in bringing us closer.

Oanh founded a support group for the Vietnamese community years ago. I was invited to a celebration and witnessed the true celebration of a community. More than 300 people (around 100 families with children with special needs) got together to celebrate their village. I couldn’t believe the arrangement, the program, the food, and the guests. Her hard work was apparent in everything.

I know how hard it is to put together a simple dinner for a few moms. Doing the family celebration of that scale was beyond what I could imagine walking into that room. I might feel proud thinking of Desi Moms Network, but that day, I realized I am not even close to what she has done in her world. Oanh, I am so proud to be included in your circle. Thank you for making this world a better place.

A simple cotton saree for the day. It was a beautiful sunny day, so unusual in February in Boston. A thick cotton was enough to keep me warm

My rockstar friend and the Program MC


My plus one for the day
 Mayor of Boston

1 comment:

  1. That celebration reminds me so much of Lunar New Year, Jaya!

    ReplyDelete