Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Have you outgrown your friendships and friends?

 A conversation with a friend made me ponder what friendship means to us in our 30s, 40s, and now in our 50s. We got to talking after a long time, but the conversation flowed as if no time had passed. We discussed work, household, spouse and kids, then transitioned to our personal interests, which was different from our previous conversations all these years.

Admitting that sometimes we just don’t have the energy or time to invest in old friendships and relationships. We don't change as people, but our priorities do. Sometimes, going out for a beer isn't as appealing as meeting for a poetry reading. Dinners may not be as enticing, but going out to see a play or theater seems more fitting. We both agreed that finding time for real happiness is equally important. 


Reflecting on my own philosophy, I find it difficult to let go of old friends and friendships, but today I am reconsidering my stance. Is it really worth trying to keep it together, or should we let go and move on? Do what makes you happy.

I have my own perspective on this, as I feel old friends and friendships keep those times alive in our memories. It’s not just the friends, but the memories with those friends that are refreshing. We don’t just enjoy the company of friends, but also cherish the memories of who we were with them 20-30 years ago.


What is your take? In your 50s, do you still meet and connect with friends from your 20s and 30s? Do you still feel the same?


Birthday celebration with friends I met 25 years ago. They have seen me grow, dealt with my mad ideas, gone along with my crazy plans, and still want to celebrate my big day. A dinner out in a saree, a gift from my best friend from middle school. 






No comments:

Post a Comment