Thursday, March 28, 2024

How do you celebrate your village?

 My birthday celebration ended with the moms from Desi Moms Network.

I use my birthday as an opportunity to bring them together—an afternoon filled with drinks, tea, snacks, laughter, and meeting new people. As I write this post, I reminisce about that afternoon when 25 moms came together to celebrate our village. 

It was the first meeting for a few; many drove more than an hour to be there and to feel that they belong with each other. For many, it was about not feeling alone. Although many met for the first time, they felt like they had known each other for so long. Their stories and journeys are different yet the same. 

My favorite part of the day is the introduction. They were supposed to tell five things about themselves and not talk about their children. I enjoy forcing them to talk about themselves as individuals. When they do, I appreciate how others in the room find a connection. Some are from the same town in India, speak the same language, went to the same college, work in the same company, or have the same passion and interests. It's fulfilling to see them exchanging phone numbers and making promises to meet again. 

What makes it click for you? How do you initiate a conversation?

 I share my big day with a kid in the group so  get to celebrate my bday with him too. This was my morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment