Sunday, November 11, 2012

Why does it sound like Autumn???



Today I went to get a book from Amy W. When I was about to leave Anand was ready to go with me. These days I do take him wherever I can. I feel that more he goes out and sees things more he will learn.. His trip was great, he came back extremely happy. It was one of those house where he felt he was home.. Thanks Amy, You have a fan in town..
On my way back we were talking about various things, all of sudden he asked why did you go to that house. I told him about the book I wanted. Next question what is the book about and I explained it’s about Autism. There were times when I tried to explain to him about Autism but it never made sense to him. I thought today is the time, Its just both of us on the road. So I asked him do you know you have Autism? Do you know what it is.. I had to choose my words very carefully. At the same time I didn’t know how to explain and what to say but I had to give it a shot. I tried to explain how 4 th grade was hard for him, How things don’t make sense to him sometimes, how loud noise bothers him, how he watches same things over and over again. He suddenly said like I am obsessed with candy corns? It was hard for me to explain how the obsession with candy corn is different than the obsession I was talking about. Then we talked about how he gets angry and shouts and argues. And here comes the reply Oh so Ajey also has Autism? And you too mom.. You argue with Ajey ( anyone who has a 15 years old at home will know about those arguments).. At that time I just couldn’t say anything except smile ..oh yes, honey you are right.. I think I do have Autism.. Guess he is not yet ready to know the details.. we both were quiet then.. After a long silence he says why does Autism sound like Autumn mom??? I wish I could answer that but my heart aches even thinking about it. We all love Autumn here but it was a dreading season in India. Nothing to love about autumn it was just a resemblance of end of liveliness.  Really??? That’s what Autism is???? End of liveliness???

2 comments:

  1. Can't be explained in words how it feels like after reading - Maneesh

    ReplyDelete
  2. No...no its not the end of liveliness.........its just living in own world .....with warmth of love and care....from mom like u

    ReplyDelete