Tuesday, October 26, 2021

9 weeks of emptinesters Pandeys - The Parents weekend for Anand at CIP

Anand has been in this Program for 9 weeks and all of us have learnt to live without each other. I was excited about parents weekend and worried too. He had never been away from home for this long ( he has been to a  couple of camps for 3-4 nights, that’s all) This program is all about him learning to become independent. 

Mr Husband and I took time off and spent the day in Boston on Thursday, it was a late night. But this time packing was a real breeze. We left Friday morning. Berkshire is beautiful this time of the year. A dear friend made Chhole for Anand so we carried the home made lunch for him. He wanted some software installed on his computer for the game he was playing so not sure if he was waiting for us or that :)

When we parked and texted  him, my son came running without shoes and hugged me for a long time. I told him  I had missed him and he said the same and  then he came back to his usual joke “ you better mom” :) That was a treat.

We ate lunch in his apartment , a home cooked meal together after 9 weeks. The boy picked his plate and rinsed and put it in the dishwasher and did the same with mine and his dad’s. A very welcoming sign of independent living skills.

The day was well spent showcasing CIP activities and programs. 

My son was the first one to volunteer to present his person centered plan.  He didn’t worry a bit even though the room was full of students and parents. He was very confident and clear. 

After the presentation all the parents were invited for a theatre show and I realized Anand wasn’t part of it at all and was the least interested. He was part of the drama club in high school so I was surprised.

Anyway the day ended with family dinner at a nearby Italian restaurant picked by Anand. I had put together the parents group when I went for orientation in Aug. When I heard that there could be a possibility of a parents get together I initiated the conversation. After dinner our children went to their apartments  and  the parents hungout by the fire for almost 3 hours. We all had so much to share and talk. Got to meet some really wonderful parents. 

Hopefully these ideas/ hopes and conversations last longer than that meet. Next day we had the scavenger hunt  at The Mount, Edith Wharton's Home. None of the Pandeys were interested in that. Anand decided to spend his time in the car listening to his favorite music , Dad ate with everyone and socialized a little bit then decided to take a nap in the car before driving back home and I had my lunch and chatted with the parents and staff of CIP. There was nothing new  for us to find out anyways.

Once we all were ready to retire we dropped Anand to his apartment and drove back home, just two of us. It was easier than the last time though. Another aspect of parenting “letting them go”.

















No comments:

Post a Comment