Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Am I turning into a saree snob? :)

On a slightly chilly weeknight, but did I say moon lit night,when a saree Sakhi invites you for a pooja, you open your recent loot and wear a silk.

That’s exactly what I did. An invite for Khojagiri Purnima pooja called for a silk drape.

It was a beautiful day. I took family pictures for another friend after work and rushed back home to get ready.  A nice cup of wine and dinner on a full moon night with Mr Husband was sure a treat. I was telling him the whole picture taking saga, how a cute dog was feeling left out, how the kid had long hair and how Adele was playing in the background and it totally worked for me because it did something to the 18 year old girl, the grandmother of the kids, a charmer with a calm, quiet and smiling demeanor. She couldn’t talk much because of our language barrier but it didn’t stop the conversation from happening between us.

And the topic turned to “tying a saree” takes forever. I was trying to explain to Mr husband how untrue it is. He was joking I take a long time to dress up too. He is right in a way, it’s not about “Wearing saree” though,  it is about “which one to wear” that takes forever. Anyways, Pandey men have no idea how quickly I get ready, they have none to compare my timing with.

Sure enough I took 15 mins after dinner because this time I knew which saree was calling me out.

I was there when the pooja was going on and I couldn’t stop scanning the crowd. Color, weave and style became more important than their faces. I am really good at not judging the choice of sarees.

The host was doing the prayers and I was busy using my limited time to notice the sarees. Yes, the Ikat/ pochampalli was the weave of the evening.

Does it happen to you too? Do you notice? Do you judge people based on their choices? I sure missed everyone’s shoes, purses and jewelry but the sarees will occupy the prime real estate in my mind every time we will talk about Khojagiri Purnima.






The setting for a photoshoot, My fav part. The fall pics are the best





1 comment:

  1. Yes, I always notice who wears what. I have a diary in which I used to note these things but those days are gone.It came handy not to repeat a sari during those active years of social engagement.

    ReplyDelete