Sunday, November 7, 2021

Culture, customs, rituals and, struggles to identify

This Diwali as I was busy frying Pooris in my kitchen a text message flashed on my screen, part of a conversation with a friend and one thing struck out. She said “I’m doing it to push the kids to go out of their comfort zone and embrace their culture.” That same day early in the morning another text had flashed on my screen, my son’s 4th grade teacher (a non Indian) who is a dear friend now sent her picture dressed in a Kurta for Diwali as she got ready to go to school.

It’s like two sides of a story of immigrant familes. A mom is struggling to just do the right amount of nudging and on another side a teacher is trying to educate her students about different cultures . I am sure over the years she has inspired many to feel comfortable in their skin and accept and celebrate their culture. Imagine how a 9-10 yrs old will feel seeing their teacher in the indian outfit - “Just like my mom”. 

When I started Diwali in my home it was just a celebration of culture and food.  Soon it evolved into something more - year after year same people met once a year and celebrated friendship, customs, culture and of course food and drinks. 

Yesterday a dear friend was struggling to comprehend how she feels about it. Is she doing enough to keep “our indian values alive?” Will the kids remember the importance of customs and rituals and above all how will they find the footing, an anchor in the chaos of life. We both talked about how we are not religious but value spirituality and humanity. Will they appreciate their parent’s values or just get lost in this modern world? What do you think? What is Diwali for you? Religion? Customs ? Rituals? Celebration? Tradition ? Or just another holiday ?

Today I wish you a bright world full of sunshine, peace of mind, good health and all the happiness.

A saree from my "50 sarees for 50th Bday collection" a simple no fuss Kanchipuram 



 A mom from my Desi Moms Network -having fun on my front yard- trying to teach basic skills, independence, academics and then add cultural nuances.
 Decoration for Halloween - adaptation of culture, custom and rituals and the struggle is - how to hide those candies from the kids :)
 A beautiful calming evening tells me things will sure fall into place for everyone. Breathe and smile.


No comments:

Post a Comment