Sunday, November 7, 2021

Diwali - To the light over darkness-celebrate the New beginning

My Diwali morning is all about cooking and India phone calls and getting ready for dinner.

The dinner has been the highlight of Pandey household for years. Only time when I have that many people in the house. Almost the same people every year, many of them meet once a year in my home. We missed last year and struggled this year with plan. I did have to cut short the list, was not very comfortable having a large crowd. And I am sure this is not only our story but many had the same dilemma. We missed whoever was not there. Hopefully next year we will be back to normal.

 

When Anand was young , he did participate in doing the sparklers, wore Kurta and enjoy the food. Over the years he would just have dinner and go to his room. This year he wants even home but he was missed. During our weekly call on Tuesday I mentioned about Diwali on Thursday. He must have mentioned it to his coach and that evening we got a text insisting on doing the Zoom on Thursday because his life skill coach always wanted to attend a Deewali party. That was something but there was an issue to do zoom during Deewali chaos and they both understood but It made my day - Anand wanted to make someone else part of our celebration. That was something.


The evening progressed and finally everyone was here. This time I will let Pictures do the talking.

Saree is a gift from a friend. 

These women has changed my world in various ways.

One of my best friend, My American mom, my very first friend in Franklin and her mom and Ajey’s 4th grade teacher. They all deserved their own story. 

The two best dressed people in the room ;) 
I think this will be most of our interaction - me talking Pat listening :) she has seen the best and worst of me :) my first non Indian friend in Franklin
Ann Williams was my son’s 4th grade teacher and worked very hard to understand and teach kids about Indian cultures about 15-16 yrs ago. She is the reason Kennedy school kids don’t get homework on Deewali night. Williams got the invite because of her but sure her husband became my fav guest. I still remember the 3 Williams didn’t know what to do with our feast but it was him who did justice to my cooking.  
The love of a grandmother - Andrew (Pat's son) and Ajey have been friends since elementary school. 
While we two will never say no to a picture the other half of Pandey's are on opposite camp - I am glad he came home for Diwali
The reluctant subject :) 
Wish you happiness, health and peace - today tomorrow and always







No comments:

Post a Comment