Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Food Brings people together , lets cook together :)

I have been donating Indian meals for various nonprofits for years now, one Indian meal for 4 people. Last few years it turned into a cooking class for a family. 

When Federations for Children with special Needs Gala was announced I offered to donate it again. Last year it was over Zoom but this year we made it optional. 

I have always met amazing people at my cooking classes and it’s always thrilling to teach my cultural heritage to different people.  Once the date was decided the host and I talked about menu and planned the logistics. Last week I was seeing a friend in the same town so decided to visit her. An Italian host and an Indian chef was an exciting combination and we had a blast.

We picked a Sunday evening so both her girls could come home to cook with mom. Nancy’s sister who teaches Italian cooking joined us too. I drove with Ajey and together the 6 of us had a great time in the kitchen.  And yes the two dogs hung out with us too. The man of the house already claimed the responsibility of cleaning up after. 


For over two hours we talked, listened, learnt, observed, questioned, took notes, chopped, washed, cooked, tasted, joked and laughed. So many cultural nuances were discussed, memories were relived and cherished and above all travel plans were made, Jaya traveling with both the sisters for cooking lesson to Italy. When passionate cooks meet the menu and planning goes out of the window and passion takes over.

And yes the smoke alarm decided to give us company too, the dogs didn’t understand what all the commotion was about. They must have gone crazy with the smell.


My favorite part was seeing them all eating and enjoying the meal. A different cuisine brings so much flavor not only in food but in life too. I hope those two girls remember the night and cook again my way. I know their mom and aunt will for sure. 

We said good bye with a promise to do this again and next time the menu will be Italian. Amen to many more such beginnings.


What is your food story, what brings you closer to people ? What is that one dish you would cook for someone you love? Something to impress? Something to cherish?

The team :) 

The Menu was 

Peas Rice
Cauliflower curry
Chicken Curry
Dry Chicken
and 
Dal


and the guest no -1 

A simple Kanchi cotton 

1 comment: