Sunday, November 7, 2021

You will never know unless you try - another kind of celebration - Diwali Saga

This Diwali is different in many ways. Anand hasn’t been part of Diwali celebration at our home for few years now, he would eat before everyone came and stayed in his room after. When kids were young we did sparklers and some very simple firecrackers and he loved those but the last few years we stopped doing that. Now Diwali was just another big dinner for him.

Ajey always enjoyed everything about it- food, fun, friends and new clothes. 

This Diwali was different, Anand was away and Ajey came home for “a visit” for a couple of days.

And it struck me, how different the festivals are for familes like ours. But again we all rise above the challenges and find the best way to move forward. 

When I brought the moms together , I had a vision - a village of our own. Families coming together to celebrate the happiness and victories and sharing the hardships, understanding each other and providing a judgement free space. I wanted “friendship and relationship” between moms first and then extend it to the familes next.  

Last night after dinner at a friend’s I drove to see my other village. 5families from my other village came together to celebrate Diwali with their kids. All the kids were amazing, they did whatever was comforting for them, watched TV, ate, spilled, played on the phone BUT they all were in one room with their dad and mom. That sight was a celebration in itself.

I am sure the hosts had a lot to cleanup and reorganize after we all left but I know they were happy to do that. 

Sometimes the vision is important but more than anything the believers in that vision are more important. Those familes decided to give it a try anticipating difficulties but their willingness to still try was a real celebration. I am glad our familes are defining celebration in their own way.


A blue resham Banarasi for the annakoot dinner. 



This pic is very special. I met this friend when I moved to USA in 99. Soon after we became very good friends. Ajey was 2 and so was her daughter. When I was pregnant with Anand she organized my surprised baby shower. I walked in her home  wearing maternity jeans and shirt with a toddler- Ajey. She handed me over a saree and some jewelry from her closet to wear that day. Last night I was there to help that beautiful girl with the saree and she wore the SAME saree.
 One of the dad loves to take pic and I was happy to pose :) Life is all about memories and I sure wanted this day to be remembered.
Because I don't have any hair to put the flowers now another mom agreed to do that for me :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment