Monday, November 15, 2021

What is your fav kind of music and what it does to you?

Mr Husband decided to take a break and went away to see some friend and I got to spend a night on my own.  It was such a strange feeling to spend the night alone at home for the first time ever. The first born decided to come home that night to give me company.

We ate, drank and talked and talked and then decided to watch a movie. That is so not us - but somedays are just like that. You do what you are not meant to. 

The weekend began with a bang. I was out for a music meet on Friday and it was wonderful to have  apt audience. I was telling Ajey about the Ghazal I recited on Friday.

My kids grew up listening ghazals. Ajey may not understand the words/meaning but he gets the essence. And the whole conversation about music turned into music in India. So we watched Bohemian Rhapsody, a movie about the Band “Queen” Freddie Mercury -- the lead singer of Queen grew up in India and was way beyond of his time in every aspect.

Next morning while making our breakfast I was listening to Jagjit Singh and he noticed how sitar and saxophones in such harmony.

It was the album “Beyond Time” by Jagjit Singh and after our breakfast we watched an interview - Jagjit SIngh’s sound engineer Daman Sood and then we switched to another interview - Kuldeep Desai’s . He was JS’s manager for over 25 yrs.

This was absolute wonderful time of my life- Ajey and I , talking/eating  and talking about my favorite Singer and Ghazal. 

Ajey noticed and pointed how brilliant composer JS was. I always knew and talked about it but hearing from son in so many minute details was amazing. How JS used instrument and techniques way beyond his time, how he combines not only eastern and westerns instruments but the style and techniques. He decided to learn more about words in the Ghazlas and understand them better.

This weekend was memorable in many ways, Now I know I have another Jagjit Singh fan in the house. The 24 yrs worth of wait ( or should I say 25? I have listened to Ghazals when I was expecting him too) - finally its here :) 




1 comment:

  1. Jayaji and Ajey
    Namaste from Mumbai India.
    It was a gr8 feeling reading the sentence * Ajey noticed and pointed how brilliant composer JS was.* मै अपने आप को रोक नहीं सका के ये कितनी ख़ास बात है जो की ज़्यादातर fans और boss को सुन ने वाले नज़रअन्दाज़ कर जाते है बोस की गायकी की impact की वजह से ke वो कितने उमदा composer थे, मेरे ख़याल से very genuine versatile and class apart. गुलज़ार साब की सीरीयल मिर्ज़ा ग़ालिब एक बदा example है boss की बेनमून कारीगरी का मगर अगर versatility of composition की बात करें तो जलाल आगा की direct की हुई और अली सरदार जाफ़री (एक उमदा शायर और उर्दू के scholar)द्वारा पेश की गई serial kahkashan is a classic example in Boss’s own words to showcase different language though process and lifestyle of 8 different gr8 shayars of that era. Please note that this is my personal opinion and observation.

    Hope all of you are in gr8 health.

    ReplyDelete