Sunday, November 28, 2021

Thankful for so many reason. A sit down dinner is sure one of those

 This Thanksgiving certainly was different in Pandey household. Boys “came” home from their places. It was exciting and fun. We decided to stay home and invited the friends whose home we would have gone otherwise. I am glad it turned out that way so at least I didn’t have to work to get Anand somewhere else.

The week began with grocery shopping. We emptynesters don’t keep much stuff in the house. Monday was our Costco day. I don’t remember buying that much food in a long time. Boys have been out for 3 and half months. We buy “just enough” for two of us.

Tuesday We went to get Anand in the afternoon. My boy was happy and excited to see us. He was all packed and ready to come home. I could see how overpacked he was but I think it was more of the easy way out than thoughtful packing. Just dump it and take it home. We took a 15 mins break and drove back home.

Anand was waiting for a computer game for quite sometime and when he got home, a new gaming PC was waiting for him. That’s it, My boy just forgot the whole world and stayed in his room for that evening.

Wednesday was Ajey’s last day at his current job so he came home later afternoon and the home felt “home” the dinner table that night was back it its glory after 3+ months.

Thursday brought cooking and cleaning. Anand did unpack and laundry and he was back to his normal “home” self. I didn’t get to see anything this program taught him yet. BUT the big deal happened in the evening.

Anand came out of his room to say hello to our friends and stayed with us for dinner. We all ate specially cooked meal for thanksgiving but he ate his fav - Rajma ( kidney beans) and roti. BUT he sat on the dining table with all of us and finished everything he had on his plate. For me that was the biggest take away.

He returned to his game and came back after some time for desert. And surely got angry with mom for delaying and taking pics of pies. 24 hours at home and my boy was already angry with his mother.

He referred “my apartment” during our conversation, went grocery shopping with dad in the evening.  today as I type this on Saturday night he is sleeping in his room  already packed  to start early morning tomorrow.

This evening I asked what can I pack - he totally refused to take anything from home. My son ate only Indian food for last 3 days, He didn’t eat anything Indian for last 3 months but have no concept of taking the boxes from home. On the other hand the first born has gladly packed everything leftover. 

But this Thanksgiving I will take that one step at a time. Grateful for the progress we see and sometime not see but intention to move forward and learn more what matters most.


No comments:

Post a Comment