Saturday, October 27, 2012

Memories – How difficult they could be


It was a difficult question or rather I say risky question..
When I said “ Anand will you come with us to JFK to drop AJ?”
I didn’t know and couldn’t imagine what will be the chain of incidents. I wanted to give it a try and was willing to take the risk but with a fear in my heart – what will happen next?

JFK is Anand’s previous elementary school; He was there till half of forth grade and then moved to language-based classroom in another school. My older son was in JFK and we loved everyone there… A great school and the very best teachers.. So when I learnt that they need volunteers for their Saturday fundraiser AJ obviously wanted to be part of it. For years we were in that school everyday and all of sudden that school was not part of our life anymore.. Anand had tough year in 4 grade, few kids were mean to him and we all were coming in terms with Anand not belonging there So we all welcomed the change of school.  
This morning AJ was ready to go and I thought I should ask Anand, thought he might want to go.. He comes to me and says Yes, But if I see “M”, ‘J” & “S” I will punch them for bullying me in 4 th grade.
I was just shocked and didn’t know what to say. It was not the reaction I was expecting and didn’t even know he remembers all that.. (Whom I was kidding, he remembers everything)
Finally Dad and I talked to him and somehow we could convince him (really could we?) not to punch anyone in any case.
The big brother came to rescue that they may not be there anyway, they are in middle school.
Finally we went to JFK, not many people around as the event was supposed to start an hour later.
 He went running to Gym, went to his 4Th grade classroom, men’s room and café..
Finally came out and walked around the playground. The principal came and asked him “ Hi Anand, How are you?” She asked how is his school and few more questions.
He was very happy that she remembered his name…
Finally we said bye to everyone and left for home.
He was so quiet; 5 minutes drive seemed so long. I don’t know what was he thinking but I am happy that I took him there.. Memories may be sad and bitter but at least he could experience it. The next trip may not be that difficult..


No comments:

Post a Comment