Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Prom night.

Driving back from High school parking lot was very difficult. Last Friday was junior year prom and Anand decided to go. It was kind of last minute decision and I dropped him at school to go to the venue by the bus. School has provided bus for students who didn’t want to drive that far.
This has been going on for few days as we were debating whether he should go or not. I thought he wasn’t ready but soon we realize how important it was for him. I don’t even know at that point he knew what to expect. We also had no idea as Ajey went to different school and his prom was too small and very close-knit compare to Franklin High.
I cannot thank Anand’s teachers enough to accommodate the last-minute request and Anand was all ready to go. It was a half day and he was home sooner. Night before we tried on pant and button-down shirt. Anand has always been jeans and T shirt kid so this was a big step for him. Suit and Tie was an absolute "no" right then and there. I just couldn’t convince and we agreed that pant and shirt with formal shoe is right dress code for him.

It broke my heart to see under-dressed Anand but more than that it was hard to see anxious and worried Anand. Where other kids were happy, talking to each other and taking pictures my son was least interested in regular prom prep. I met his teacher, asked if he could take a picture for me during prom and left the parking lot. Before leaving home, he agreed to get ONE picture. Later in the night I got another picture from the teacher and here it is. The reminder how far we have come and how not so easy road it is for any of us. I am happy that he had the experience and at the same time I am sad that how hard it was for him to come to that point. I cannot forget how helpful his teachers were in arranging all that and making is possible. So unlike other families we don't have hundreds of prom pictures or Facebook updates or smiling kids all over but one step at a time.. we have a memory and an experience and a reminder.. How far we have come.



8 comments:

  1. Beautifully penned. I walked with you and your emotions . Wishing Anand and you all - the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing Anand many more such experiences..

    ReplyDelete
  3. "we have a memory and an experience and a reminder..." and that is what matters Jaya. Proud of you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Straight from the heart, Jaya! Hugs to you!
    Best wishes to Anand!��

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful and heart warming :) wishing Anand and all of you many more such experiences :-) best wishes always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is looking very handsome and happy too. I love the smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Handsome boy looking happy ��. We're going to see many more happy moments& events ❤❤

    ReplyDelete