Saturday, March 3, 2018

ChangeMakers in making .. Thats what they are ..

Couple of weeks ago I agreed to address the students in Lesley as a panelist. When I finally got the names of two other panelists I looked up their impressive details and thought if I could contribute anything useful? But as time passed I knew that being a mom is enough credential to tell my stories. If nothing else I can at least show what Anand and we are.

One of the cold rainy Friday I drove to Cambridge with many thoughts in mind.
 I had the set of question students submitted beforehand. And I was thinking I should have written some answers in advance. The procrastinator in me was really doing an unhappy dance in my mind. I decided to call my mom and it did help after all she is my most fav teacher. Ironically, she never taught me but I know how “out of the box” teacher she was. We didn’t talk about those questions but I knew I will answer what I feel is right.
When I reached Cambridge, the wind blew my umbrella and I felt the rain and wind, exactly a mom can feel sometimes. Just cold, trying to hold on to the ground, trying to stay calm and keep walking and looking forward. My brand new umbrella said good bye to me and I was ready for the storm : )
After that, the whole session was a breeze, a principal couldn’t make it, she had to stay in school to attend more pressing needs. So, it was just two of us panelist and two professors. The other panelist too was a mom and education activist. The students blew me away with their questions and comments. 35 of them, all first-year students who are in school to be teachers. I couldn’t be any prouder, being there was the way to spend my Friday. They asked questions about everything from our opinion on standardized test as parents and teachers, the global competition to me being a mom, woman and a person and activist, the balancing act of life, what do I expect from teachers, to being in different part of world, doing best for our children, what do I want to see changing in education and special needs world. We talked about gun control to teachers training to the reaction of students in current political and social environment. I congratulated them on their career choices and explain it to them how they will touch so many lives and change the world for 100s of families. How important it is for them to keep discovering new ways of teaching and accommodating the various needs of children. It was very interesting to hear their observation of tests, homework, school discipline, recess and getting ready for the bigger world. That hour and half were spent in making sense in some way..but it was the discussion around the recent school shooting and the students who are taking the gun control issue forward they don’t know yet but they are  a new breed of education activist and change agent in many ways than they can imagine. as a mother I am so hopeful that these students will sure make a different.

Key to the better world.. education and teachers.
couldn't resist - key to the ladies room

Thank you Prof Sauer and Prof Fiore for giving me a chance to interact with future teachers. a rainy coffee break after the class.
 The rainy Mass Ave. I sat there and watched the rain and the Friday afternoon rush in that cafĂ©. Such a different world .. A view from High Rise Bread company.  time to retrospect our contribution..





..





2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I congratulated them on their career choices and explain it to them.
    airport parking Luton

    ReplyDelete