Saturday, July 21, 2018

My Dad - My Hero..

My superman papa turns 80 today. And I so would want to be him if I reach that age.
Cooking wasn’t my mother’s passion, and our meals were simple with occasional treats. But I had never seen my dad complaining of anything on the plate. He would simply say – “Malik (their nick name for each other – darling or honey) namak dedo” pass me some salt. Achar (pickle) made up for everything missing. He always said be grateful for the food on the plate and eat without complaining. Unlike him, his daughter was a “chatori” (food lover).
I was 13, going to high school and my mom, who was a teacher, got transferred to a middle school, teaching morning shift. That changed the whole kitchen dynamics, my dad took over the morning prep and I started cooking. He is the one who showed me how to use a pressure cooker. When people wonder how can I make soft and beautiful tons of roti’s in one go, I joke it’s the years of practice. But it’s my dad who made me a better cook. I started cooking and my quiet eater dad turned into very vocal admirer. He never ever criticized what I cooked and always found just the perfect words to appreciate what I did. I know I cook with love and passion but it was my dad I cooked for. The expression on his face were the biggest award for me those day. He became the reason I took interest and experimented. The food lover in me observed cooks around me and applied that in my mom’s kitchen and he became my sole “taster”. Ashish took over his role once I got married but my inspiration remains the same.. cook for respect, love and passion.

My dad is not only my hero, he is reason behind so many thing I do and believe in. As a stubborn daughter, I didn’t agree to some of his philosophy then but now I am so becoming him day by day. He would care and remain in touch with hundreds of his relatives, takes time for his believes and does his things secretly. (his daughter is so different though, thank you facebook ;). He is not only our hero, he is our champion, philosopher, friend, care taker and to go person for anything. But above all he remains our rock.. We love you papa..


No comments:

Post a Comment