Saturday, September 11, 2021

The reception story - Unsung heroes

I was invited as a friend first then a board member to a reception to honor 3 awardees - a philanthropist, a change agent and an organization working in mental health field. Of these 3, 2 of them have inspired me in many ways.

One is a friend and a person I adore. She in a way change the way immigrant familes are treated in the special needs world. She is a cultural agent. I dressed her and her daughter in sarees a couple of months ago if you follow my stories.

The Associate Director of that organization is a dear friend too. I walked a 5K wearing a green saree to honor her a few years ago for her efforts in raising mental health awareness. She never forgets to tell everyone.

I didn’t have to think twice about what to wear, a saree of course but a hot day called for a cotton. The venue was amazing as was the weather, the people, the drinks and the food. I met some fabulous people, some I knew from before some I didn’t. Very interestingly many asked about my Saree. 

An amazing group of people from the non profit world, some families, some parents with special needs children, they all made the evening perfect. But my favorite was a mom walking in with her son as her plus one. 

Years ago I went to another gala with one Radio personality as the host, I walked in with my then 18 year old son. I still remember that feeling. 

When I sent a picture of me at the gala to a friend she couldn’t believe that I wore a cotton saree to a reception hosted at a country club here in Boston. We joked that one flower decoration on that table would have been more expensive than my saree. 

Well, if you want to know more about the work Federation for Children with Special needs does, please google them to learn more about the organisation. Wait for the Gala pictures. I will be in one of my favorite sarees for sure.

A simple cotton Batik saree more pics and captions on my blog if you want to see my flower :)










The wonderful photographer Ivone Rego
The fancy country club had IKAT cushion in their waiting area :) There were two indian in that club that day Jaya and that imported Ikat fabric :)
Ivone Rego's magic :)






No comments:

Post a Comment