Wednesday, September 1, 2021

The Village comes in all shapes and sizes

My parents have been living with my sister for more than 15 years . They left their home, friends, family and social circle and helped my sister raise her kids. They kept their connections alive and home intact and visited twice a year.

It was the first time they couldn’t due to COVID. The last 18 months took a toll on everyone and our family wasn’t an exception. At a certain point they decided it was enough, fear lost and the longing to be in their “home and hometown ” won over. They took a trip to Balaghat for two weeks. But this time it was different as they were almost two years older than their last visit. They knew it would be difficult but didn’t know to what extent. My mom needed to be on her own to live life fully, do the things she wanted to do and meet the people she had missed in the last two years. Another sister and her husband took care of most of the things they could ( they live 150 miles away in Raipur). They came and got them settled and then went back home. It was my mom’s entourage of helpers who really took care of them.

Khelan Bai is one of them. 

Ajey was born in Balaghat and Khelan Bai came to help us with the new born. Her husband is a barber in our town and traditionally the barber’s wife is a masseuse for the new born and the new mom. She was and still is a skinny woman who was always calm and smiling. It was 24 plus years ago. I left for Singapore with then 2 months old Ajey but she remained a part of our household. She took care of my mom and later when they moved to Bangalore she still remained in our caretaker circle. Whenever we went home she was always there doing whatever she could. I always told her she is the best Masseuse in the world. She is tiny and skinny but there is something in her hands that relaxes every bone. Come to think of it, she has been there for our 3 generations. 

This time my mom was there for 10 days and Khelan bai was there by default everyday for a couple of hours doing more than just giving a massage to my mom. She did what we, the daughters were supposed to do. Helped my mom clean and empty out the stuff from home. My mom had a different agenda this time, she let go of a lot of old stuff and belongings. I know it was hard for her, she wasn’t feeling well healthwise and emotionally too realizing she may not be able to “visit” her own home as much she would want to. Khelan bai was there to hold her hand and support her in every possible way. I am just grateful that she was there where none of us sister could.

My parents are back from Balaghat and am I am so grateful that they could spend some time there but it wasn’t possible without these helps. Will write about Gangaram, the caretaker for their home some time soon. 




1 comment: